Hi from blustery Alberta Canada

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Purple_grape84, Jan 19, 2019.

1. Purple_grape84

Purple_grape84 Songster

Jan 19, 2019
    Lamont, AB, Canada
    There is such a fierce wind storm outside today, throwing snow around into drift and making black ice on the roads, I have time to actually do an introduction.

Hi, My name is Kasandra and I am from near Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. It has been -20C (-4F), but feels like -30C (-22F) with the wind. This is my first year with my own farm, though I grew up on a goat farm in BC, which is a much milder climate. I took possession of my new 8 acre farm mid Dec, 2018, so have only been in place a little over a month.

I didn't wast any time getting started. There was a barn and 6 small out buildings on the property, along with a 40x60 quonset. The barn allowed me to get some new zealand cross rabbits and chickens right off the bat.

The Chickens I started off with are a Cochin Rooster, 2 medium brown Brahmas and a young roo (they were all about 5 months I think). This past weekend, from the same farm I got those chickens, I just got 2 silkie hens and a rooster.

My wish is to start an Angora goat farm and produce luxury wool for the everyday knitter and spinner. But, for now I am starting with seedlings in the spring, which I will sell at farmers markets at the beginning of the planting season, and chickens. I hope to get some geese to hatch in the spring to be guard animals.

Confession: I have already hatched 9/12 eggs in my home made incubator, made out of a styrofoam cooler and I just built a new incubator and have 3.5 doz eggs in. My old incubator has 10 Guinea fowl, 5 muscovy ducks and 2 geese eggs. I don't know how well they will all do together, but the experiment continues.

Okay, that's enough for now.

Talk to you soon.

Attached Files:

fldiver97, ronott1, sourland and 19 others like this.
  2. KLIL

KLIL Crossing the Road

Jul 4, 2018
    Queensland, Australia
    fldiver97, ronott1, sourland and 12 others like this.
  3. cluckmecoop7

cluckmecoop7 Songster

Jan 4, 2019
    NE USA
    Hi! Welcome!

fldiver97, ronott1, rjohns39 and 9 others like this.
  4. Texas Kiki

Texas Kiki Egg Pusher

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC.
    :yesss: We are glad you joined this flock!
    Jump right in and make yourself at home.

This video will help you learn how to navigate this site:

Coop Ideas:
    Chicken Coops

BYC has an APP!

fldiver97, ronott1, sourland and 10 others like this.
  5. Brahmachicken240

Brahmachicken240 Crossing the Road

Dec 26, 2018
    Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC :frow
    :welcome
    06AEB407-7D6A-43AF-9D35-8FD874FD444D.jpeg

fldiver97, ronott1, sourland and 12 others like this.
  6. BlueBaby

BlueBaby Crossing the Road

Mar 21, 2016
    Maricopa, AZ. (near Phoenix)
    Hello, and welcome! Glad that you joined! You really have cold weather up there now. I noticed that you also want to have some geese. I hope that you have a way to keep them from flying south for the winter when the wild one's migrate.

fldiver97, ronott1, sourland and 8 others like this.
  7. Chick-N-Fun

Chick-N-Fun Almy Acres Farm

Jun 26, 2014
    Corning, NY
    Welcome to our FUNomenal community! :celebrate Best wishes and make yourself at home here at BYC!

fldiver97, ronott1, sourland and 7 others like this.
  8. FlappyFeathers

FlappyFeathers Crossing the Road

Feb 5, 2018
    Northwest Oregon
    My Coop
    byc-poultry-family.png
    Congratulations on your new farm! Sounds like an awesome place to raise your chickens and bunnies. Why do you have so many roosters? Probably even more from your hatch. Usually a good ratio is 10 hens per rooster. They'll all get along for several months, but as they get older, the cockerels will want to breed and can get overly aggressive with each other, not to mention the poor pullets getting overworked. Some people successfully keep a separate cockerel pen out of sight from the girls, and keep their best roo with the hens. Good luck with your newest hatching experiment!!

9. DobieLover

DobieLover Easily distracted by chickens

Jul 23, 2018
    Apalachin, NY
    My Coop
    Hello, Kasandra, and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
    Congratulations on the farm and hatching with a homemade incubator. That's awesome!

10. RoosterRules

RoosterRules Chirping

Dec 1, 2018
    Alberta, Canada
    Hi Kasandra, I am happy to find a fellow Albertan here!:frow:yesss: The weather has been seriously gross cold today, I am up by Bonnyville. I am also an angora fan, I used to breed angora rabbits:bun. Stay warm tonight on your new farm!! I look forward to more posts from you! (Not enough of us on here ;))
    Ginie.

fldiver97, ronott1, rjohns39 and 8 others like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: