Hi from Brown County Ohio!!:)

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Jynestia, Mar 26, 2015.

1. Jynestia

Jynestia Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2015
    So I have been lurking for a while. I have wanted chickens for all of my life, and finally got them! Every internet search I have done has brought me to a BYC thread. I now search this instead of google!

I hesitated to join originally because I thought the forum was exclusively for owners of pet chickens... but then I accidentally found the caponizing thread via Google and realized there were connections here I could make.

So here I am and hello!

I am a single mother of 3 trying to make a farm out of 10 acres that were a blessing to me. I work full time in business as well.

about 2 weeks ago we started getting chickies. We first got 4 pullets and 2 bantams from TSC. (We didn't know there were other non mail order options!). We hoped for 1 of the 2 bantams to be a rooster.

Later we learned they had ducks! I went back for 6 khaki's when they came in. When I arrived there were also a fresh batch of Rhode Island Red's. Of course I had to get them, they're much prettier than the others! They are unsexed as well, so probably at least one rooster in there.

Then when shopping for a coop, we found a local place that had basically every breed imaginable! So we picked up 1 barred rock, 2 silver laced wyandotte's, 3 auracanas, and 2 mallard ducks.

I intend to grow them for both meat and eggs. My kids are learning farm life, and already had the "don't get attached, these aren't pets" talk. To which they responded "When can we make chicken nuggets?" so I definitely have a bunch of farm hands in the making!

OMG there are 28 chicks growing in my spare bathroom... :D And I am SO excited!!!

Can't wait to get to know everyone and learn more!

~ Jen :)

2. Jynestia

Jynestia Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2015
    I mean 26 chicks. Apparently math/counting eludes me.

3. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG] and congrats on your new flock.

It does seem all searches lead here. So glad you decided to join us.

4. Watermelon123

Watermelon123 Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Jan 31, 2015
    Northern Ohio,
    Wecome to the coop!

5. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Good luck with your flocks!

6. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome back to BYC, Jen. Glad you decided join our flock. A lot of us were lurkers before joining. :eek:) Raising chickens is a wonderful experience for children. My granddaughter (pictured in my avatar) loves our chickens. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Numbers aren't important - here we have "chicken math," which simply implies, you're going to continue to get more chickens- resistance is futile, it is a fowl addiction[​IMG]

8. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Loving the Autumn Weather Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    Hello [​IMG]and Welcome to BYC![​IMG]

Glad to have you join! Feel free to make yourself at home!

9. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined! :)

10. ScenicViews

ScenicViews Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2015
    King, NC
    Welcome! You definitely have the "chicken-math" down!! [​IMG]

Congratulations on your new flock!!