Hi from California but moving to Connecticut (??)

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by chickenchacha, Feb 2, 2013.

1. chickenchacha

chickenchacha Out Of The Brooder

Jan 31, 2013
    I'm new here and have been a chickener forever (most favorite are the Silkies) but will be moving to Connecticut at the end of the year. I'm sure I have a few surprises in store for me but not having enough water won't be one of them :). I'm looking forward to building a whole new "chicken-garden-setup" and will have to learn about "winter" coops, predators, weather, woods, ponds, brooks etc. We're looking forward to being close to family on 5 acres in Haddam.

2. chickenpooplady

chickenpooplady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Ohio
    My Coop
    [​IMG] from Highland County Ohio and God Bless!!!

3. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] Best of luck with the move!

4. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC!!!
    [​IMG]
    Glad you joined us!!

5. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, chickenchacha, and [​IMG]! Happy you joined our community! Congrats on your relocation and new coop plans. Good luck to you!

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC, and welcome to the East coast.

7. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Hi and :welcome from Ohio. So glad to have you aboard. :thumbsup

8. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

9. Jakoda

Jakoda Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2012
    Old Lyme CT
    welcome ! I am about 10 minutes from Haddam, grew up here in CT:)

Lots of predators in my area, hawks, coyotes, fishercats, racoons, opposums, and some bear sightings, and just recently quite a few mountain lion sightings (tho DEEP denies it!) in our area, so yes, predator proofing is a must around here.

We have a couple of good feed stores in the haddam area, shagbark & Salem feed/ Agway..I usually like to make a monthly trip to Tractor Supply my fav place and quite inexpensive compared to others.

Winters aren't to bad here, altho we had a really really cold snap last week.

CT isn't a cheap state to live in, but I think it might be cheaper than CA..
    Diane

10. chickenchacha

chickenchacha Out Of The Brooder

Jan 31, 2013
    Thanks Diane!

I'm certainly looking forward to it (not the move part). We have most of the critters here in the Cal country minus the fishercats. Mountain lions are often seen too. Hawks can be a nuisance too and now rabbits have moved in since the foxes haven't been seen for a couple of years in my area - we wonder what happened to them. I looked at your great pictures of the coop project - excellent, and even dh was impressed and hopefully inspired! We're going to have to clear some trees to make room for all my garden/chicken/barn projects which hopefully will include a green house too. Thanks for the tips about the feed stores.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by