Hi from Canada

jdial

In the Brooder
Mar 16, 2015
Northern Alberta, Canada
I'm located in northern Alberta - so far north that I'm only 250miles or 400km from the North West Territories.
I've been lurking on the forum for nearly a year now trying to decide what I'm going to do for my first flock. The average temperature from November until February is -25C (-13F) with dips as low as -40C (-40F) for 2-3 days straight.
I have settled on the Partridge Chantecler. Being a breed that was created in Northern Alberta for our climate, I think they will do the best. I wanted a heritage breed as I am wanting to pasture raise them as much as possible. (Obviously they won't be in the winter). This site has helped me with these choices and I thank you all for all of the valuable information and experience you share. It keeps us newbies from having to constantly re-invent the wheel.

Hi and welcome to BYC!

Those are some brutal winters you have, you did well thinking out the breed you want. Hope all goes well for you and if you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Good luck!

Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! Wow that is cold!! Good luck with your choice of birds and lovely to hear BYC has been so useful for you.

Enjoy BYC and all the chicken chat, everyone here to help and very friendly :frow

Hello
frow.gif
and Welcome to BYC!
woot.gif

Glad to have you join! Feel free to make yourself at home!

Thank you for the welcomes :) I'm hoping to learn as much as I can and then hopefully help other people in cold climates like ours. There really isn't a lot of information- mostly because not a lot of people live up here. ;)

Welcome to the BYC flock. We have a great member Tara I believe from BC and she has & breeds chanteclers and they do very well for her. She has a very informative thread on BYC called "Just another day in Pair a Dice,"

Back
Top Bottom