Hi from Central FL - I'm about to take the chicken plunge...maybe...

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by guesswhatchickenbutt, Mar 5, 2009.

1. guesswhatchickenbutt

guesswhatchickenbutt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Central FL
    Hi chicken-lovers!!

My name is Kate and I live in Central Florida. I don't have chickens yet, but I'm on the cusp of chicken-ownership. I'm trying to learn all I can before taking the plunge and I've been reading some posts on this forum, along with ordering 2 chicken books and reading chicken blogs like they're going out of style.

I am allowed to have chickens in my area of town, but my home owner's association says no chickens. We can have horses, but not chickens. So if I get them, it'll have to be covert. We have close to two acres fenced with 6-foot privacy fencing, so I think it'll be okay. We raised 8 ducks here before for about 3 years and no one found out - and the ducks were noisy!!

I'm a bit worried about chickens though. I've always loved the idea of it and after about 2 years of being undecided I am on the cusp of leaping into chicken ownership right now. I feel that it's important if you get some chickens you should take on the responsibility of owning them for their entire lives and not give them away... so I wonder if I'll like owning them. I know that sounds silly, but I know i like owning dogs and cats... what if i get the chickens and don't like it? That's one of my major fears...

Also, how noisy would 3 hens be? I've got three breeds picked out - Americauna (probably just a random EE though), a RIR and a barred rock. I thought about getting 3 since I heard they're very social birds.

Ugh - I have so many questions, but have time to learn. The chicks don't arrive at the Feed store until the 1st week in April so I'll continue reading everything I can until then.

Sorry for the novel. Just wanted to let you all know where I'm coming from!!

Thanks for all the great and insightful posts I've been reading - and the beyond-cute pics too!!!!

Off to keep reading...

Take care!
    Kate

2. n-da-woods

n-da-woods Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2009
    North Carolina
    Welcome to BYC from NC [​IMG]

3. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    [​IMG] from TN

4. mullers3acers

mullers3acers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2007
    la porte, In
    [​IMG] take the plunge you won't regret it!

5. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    [​IMG], Kate!

Glad to have you here! [​IMG]

It's smart to do some research before jumping in. If you use the "search" feature, you'll probably find that a lot of the questions you're asking have already been answered elsewhere on the forum. Dig around through different areas of the forum, and of course, ask a question if you can't find what you're looking for. We're always happy to help! [​IMG]

6. pw_quiltworks

pw_quiltworks One Handy Chick

Jan 7, 2009
    Maine
    [​IMG]
    From Old Town, Maine

7. Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
  8. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Welcome.

In your situation, I'd advise against roosters.

AND, there is nothing wrong with getting joy from giving chickens to others, or even selling them at below market price to help others get started with chickens. I like spreading the joy.

9. peckndirt

peckndirt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    North Carolina
    [​IMG]

10. hoosier

hoosier Chillin' With My Peeps

Go on - you know you want to! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by