1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

hi from central florida

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by keldadog, May 2, 2009.

1. keldadog

keldadog In the Brooder

May 2, 2009
    Central Florida
    Well, my husband and I have had ducks off and on over the last 10 years (only 5/6 at a time), and he'd just decided that he wanted some chickens when my friend asked if I'd raise some ducklings for her. Since I was getting my pen ready for chickens, I figured why not do the ducks first! We're now expecting 34 ducklings to arrive next Thursday or Friday and at the last minute, my friend ordered 6 turkeys. Oh well! I've never raised ducklings but have had ducks so I feel pretty good about that...but now the turkeys are throwing me big time! I had planned on keeping them in the same brooder but wonder if this will be possible because the ducks need 20% non medicated food. It'd be much easier to keep them together...at least at first!

Any suggestions?

And once the ducks/turkeys are gone, we're really looking forward to some chicks. My husband's grandfather always had chickens and he misses them a lot.

Awfully glad to find this site....it's informative already!

2. babymakes6

babymakes6 Gifted

Feb 24, 2009
    far west Ohio
    [​IMG] from Ohio!

3. mamaKate

mamaKate Songster

Sep 9, 2008
    SE MO
    [​IMG] from SE MO.

4. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    First - welcome!

Second - I'd keep the turkeys & ducks separated, even if it's just with a mesh separator of some kind. The ducks are messy & many people have problems keeping the turkeys or chicks dry & comfortable enough.

5. keldadog

keldadog In the Brooder

May 2, 2009
    Central Florida
    Oops...should also add, in addition to the soon to be arriving ducklings and turkeys, we have 2 children (girl - 7, boy - 2.5), 3 border collies (7, 2, and 1) one Polish Lowland Sheepdog (4), 2 cats, one hamster...and a cockatiel. Let's see....yes...that just about covers it! And it's a bit exciting around here!

6. Toast n Jelly

Toast n Jelly Songster

Jan 29, 2007
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. patyrdz

patyrdz The Madd Hatcher

Feb 26, 2009
    Southern Pines, NC
    [​IMG] from North Carolina![​IMG]

I think it would be hard, because the turkeys need the turkey starter, and this will kill the ducklings![​IMG]

8. LilEmilysChknPen

LilEmilysChknPen Songster

Feb 27, 2009
    Ocala Fl
    hello from Central florida too! I'm in Ocala. Where are you at?

9. Cats Critters

Cats Critters Completely Indecisive

[​IMG]

10. keldadog

keldadog In the Brooder

May 2, 2009
    Central Florida
    We're very close! Just down the road a bit in Mount Dora, although technically in the county.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by