hi from central florida

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by keldadog, May 2, 2009.

1. keldadog

keldadog Out Of The Brooder

May 2, 2009
    Central Florida
    Well, my husband and I have had ducks off and on over the last 10 years (only 5/6 at a time), and he'd just decided that he wanted some chickens when my friend asked if I'd raise some ducklings for her. Since I was getting my pen ready for chickens, I figured why not do the ducks first! We're now expecting 34 ducklings to arrive next Thursday or Friday and at the last minute, my friend ordered 6 turkeys. Oh well! I've never raised ducklings but have had ducks so I feel pretty good about that...but now the turkeys are throwing me big time! I had planned on keeping them in the same brooder but wonder if this will be possible because the ducks need 20% non medicated food. It'd be much easier to keep them together...at least at first!

Any suggestions?

And once the ducks/turkeys are gone, we're really looking forward to some chicks. My husband's grandfather always had chickens and he misses them a lot.

Awfully glad to find this site....it's informative already!

2. babymakes6

babymakes6 Gifted

Feb 24, 2009
    far west Ohio
    [​IMG] from Ohio!

3. mamaKate

mamaKate Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    SE MO
    [​IMG] from SE MO.

4. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    First - welcome!

Second - I'd keep the turkeys & ducks separated, even if it's just with a mesh separator of some kind. The ducks are messy & many people have problems keeping the turkeys or chicks dry & comfortable enough.

5. keldadog

May 2, 2009
    Central Florida
    Oops...should also add, in addition to the soon to be arriving ducklings and turkeys, we have 2 children (girl - 7, boy - 2.5), 3 border collies (7, 2, and 1) one Polish Lowland Sheepdog (4), 2 cats, one hamster...and a cockatiel. Let's see....yes...that just about covers it! And it's a bit exciting around here!

6. Toast n Jelly

Toast n Jelly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2007
    St.Charles, QC
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. patyrdz

patyrdz The Madd Hatcher

Feb 26, 2009
    Southern Pines, NC
    [​IMG] from North Carolina![​IMG]

I think it would be hard, because the turkeys need the turkey starter, and this will kill the ducklings![​IMG]

8. LilEmilysChknPen

LilEmilysChknPen Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2009
    Ocala Fl
    hello from Central florida too! I'm in Ocala. Where are you at?

9. Cats Critters

Cats Critters Completely Indecisive

[​IMG]

10. keldadog

May 2, 2009
    Central Florida
    We're very close! Just down the road a bit in Mount Dora, although technically in the county.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by