Hi from central MA!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by ellomumsy, Jun 22, 2016.

1. ellomumsy

ellomumsy New Egg

May 30, 2016
    I've been using this forum a lot to get questions about chickens answered. Decided to join so I could actually ask questions!

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?

I first got chickens when my kids were growing up. As my flock dwindled and the kids left the nest and my neighbor got chickens, I wound up buying eggs from her. But I missed my chickens. I waited a bit to get them again because I had a new Golden Retriever that killed one of the neighbor's chickens and I wanted him to settle down so I could train him not to go after chickens. He's 5 now, I got chickens again last year, and he has managed to kill two of them. So the training hasn't worked and he is tied up anytime I let them out - I free range them part of the day to help with pest control. My other dog - an Aussie - watches over the yard (and them, to some degree) so so far, so good, with the predator situation. I know a lot of people are having issues with that right now.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?

9 hens plus I have 3 ducks. I recently had to get rid of a nasty, nasty rooster. Things are much calmer now. But I wanted a rooster, so researched gentle breeds (probably found a lot of the answers here!) and ordered a Salmon Faverolle rooster and hens and some other broody breeds. I have 15 4-week old chicks right now. It's a LOT of work. The first time I had chickens a hen raised some chicks. That's my goal for my flock. To have the hens do the work! :) And to maintain my own flock.

(3) What breeds do you have?

Some I'm not sure of. But I have a Light Brahma (and more chicks of the same), at least one Ameraucana, A RI Red, at least one Buff Orpington, a Barred Plymouth Rock, 2 Comets and now some Salmon Faverolles and Speckled Sussex and a Patridge Cochin, I think (a free chick from the hatchery).

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com?

Googling questions about chickens. :)

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?

Gardening, sewing, herbalism (I'm studying now to become an herbalist).

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

I just retired (early, I'm 56) from technology (was a web developer) to devote time to my herbal studies and permaculture endeavors on my property (I have a certificate in permaculture design). Not sure what the future will bring, I'm hoping it will be something to help people get healthy! My 3 kids are all grown up, I have a 2-year old grandson. He loves the chickens! We also have 2 dogs (already mentioned) and 2 cats. We live on 3 acres and I am very into growing my own organic food and I'm putting in an orchard to supply us with fruits and nuts in the future.

2. N F C

N F C dem crazy bones Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Thanks for the interesting introduction, you sound busy (but enjoying yourself).

Make yourself at home!

3. Athaid

Athaid Chillin' With My Peeps

Hey, welcome to BYC :) I'm curious what studying to be a herbalist entails?

Last edited: Jun 22, 2016
  4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Too bad your Aussie doesn't recognize your golden as a predator - or he would fight him off the chickens. Sooner or later he will get loose again.

5. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hello and welcome to our community - glad that you have joined us. Many thanks for your introduction and i wish you all the best with your future studies in herbalism.I hope that you enjoy being a member as much as the rest of us.

Best wishes
    CT

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

7. Jucodeo

Jucodeo The Sky is Falling!

Jun 15, 2016
    [​IMG] and [​IMG]
    Hey @ellomumsy I am so happy you joined our roost at BYC! I would like to welcome you with open arms! Since you are new to chickens I will leave you the link to the most best learning area on this site our Learning Center a place with updated articles for old and new chicken raisers!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

I hope you enjoy BYC and make sure to post pictures of your flock and give us updates on how you are doing here
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/40/family-life-stories-pictures-updates

All the best of luck to you and your awesome flock!
    Justin [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by