Hi from Central PA

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by GoldenPuppy, Jul 21, 2011.

1. GoldenPuppy

GoldenPuppy Out Of The Brooder

Jul 21, 2011
    PA
    Hi, just wanted to introduce myself.

I live on a small farm in PA with my human and animal family.

We have two horses, two dogs (a Bernese Mountain Dog named Ruger and a Golden Retriever named Dean), two rabbits and three cats.

I used to have chickens on my farm but had a family tragedy and had to re-home my hens. I said I wasn't going to get chickens again but we see how that turned out. [​IMG]

My BFF and her daughters got some Wyandottes last fall and I somehow *gee, how did that happen?* ended up with one of her roosters. He seemed pretty lonely at my barn and would follow me around while I did my morning chores. I would sit with him each morning and have my coffee.

BFF got some peeps from Foley's about two months ago. Since she already has some Foley birds, she gave me five of the birds this past weekend. I think they are beautiful. They are the BLRW variety and I have all three colors. A roo & a hen are the blue laced, one roo is a handsome splash, one hen has the black lace and one little guy is mahogany w/blue lacing.

I also have some SL roos but they probably won't be staying long since I want to focus on the BLRW and possibly get some Buff.

Here is my adult roo, Lance. He is a BLRW with black lacing. (He is not a Foley bird.) This guy is so kind to the hen I've got on loan from BFF. He also takes pretty good care of those babies. He will probably be re-homed once my new roo grows up since I want to breed blue on blue. He looks mean but he is a sweet heart.
    [​IMG]

Lance again with some baby SL roos he babysat for a while.
    [​IMG]

This is one of the blue laced colored babies.
    [​IMG]

This is the splash. His butt feathers are a fabulous slate blue color and he's a nice, large bird for his age. I will probably not breed him since he is a splash.
    [​IMG]

This is my little guy. He has taken a shine to me and likes to sit on me in the mornings and evenings. Strangely, he doesn't seem to hang out much with the other baby roos, who form a sort of bad-boy pack.
    [​IMG]

Ruger
    [​IMG]

Dean, my golden puppy.
    [​IMG]

So that's my introduction. I've been lurking for a while and figured I'd better just go ahead and join up so I can participate.

2. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from a sizzling Ohio. So glad you joined. Great pics. [​IMG]

3. gamebirdsonly

gamebirdsonly Overrun With Chickens

Mar 5, 2007
    UTAH
    [​IMG] Very good looking birds [​IMG]

4. hcppam

hcppam Chillin' With My Peeps

Great flock! Hi, from big bear, you'll love all the info you get here! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. Darlasmum

Darlasmum Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2009
    La Crescenta, CA
    Another [​IMG] from California. Lance sounds so great - I cant imagine you re homing him.Love your 4 legged kids too- very handsome!

6. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Overrun With Chickens

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    [​IMG] Beautiful dogs and chickens.

7. Cadjien_De_Louisiane

Cadjien_De_Louisiane SWLA Gamefowl Breeder

Apr 18, 2011
    Welsh, LA
    Hello from Louisiana [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

9. GoldenPuppy

GoldenPuppy Out Of The Brooder

Jul 21, 2011
    PA
    Thank you all for the warm welcome. [​IMG] This place is so friendly, I love that about it.

Darlasmum, I don't really have a place to separate my breeding stock from the other stock and since I want to focus on the Foley birds, I will most likely have to re-home Lance. If he were a mean roo, I'd just butcher him and be done with it. But he's a fabulous, kind and friendly bird so he's not getting eaten even if I do end up having to keep him.

I really only want to have one rooster around for breeding and it's just easier if he fits the color/type as well as possible so I can get high quality birds. After all the work Foleys did getting their stock where it is, it's only right to try to keep it that way. I have high hopes for my baby BLRW since he has nice color and type.

It's really hard for me to cull birds. I don't like that part of breeding. Kind of why I want to do the Buffs--so I don't have to cull an otherwise nice bird for something like having bad lacing.

10. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us. Love the pics [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by