Hi from Central PA

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by chicknubee, Jan 29, 2012.

1. chicknubee

chicknubee New Egg

Jan 29, 2012
    Central PA coal country
    I am new to chickens (still getting started with equiptment, supplies and choosing chicken breeds) hence my name.
    I'm glad there's a forum where I can access resources. My sister has chickens but I have never had any (yet). The nore I investigate, the more I want them! Hope you can all cope with my novice questions on this forum!
    Clucka-plucka-clucka!

2. Gargoyle

Gargoyle Overrun With Chickens

Apr 13, 2011
    Fox Valley, IL
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC, and feel free to ask away...

3. dmclalin

dmclalin Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 27, 2011
    South Lyon, Michigan
    Welcome chicknubee! I am also new and have ordered baby chicks for the end of March. This is a great forum. I am in Michigan and we have a very active MI forum as well. I am so glad you found us!!

4. S&N Livestock

S&N Livestock Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    southern ohio
    [​IMG] from Ohio

5. chicknubee

chicknubee New Egg

Jan 29, 2012
    Central PA coal country
    Thank you for the warm welcome! I have spent the last 48 hrs online looking at chicken hatcheries, supplies and how to start baby chicks. I am a bit worried about predators as we have ALL of them here. From my reading, it looks like I am going to be investing in a lot of poultry wire. And wood, and nails, hooks, screws and so on. I'm a big gardener so I hope I don't kill as many chickens as I have plants!

6. golden reeves

golden reeves Out Of The Brooder

Feb 10, 2011
    SW Minnesota
    your in the right place [​IMG]

7. Creaking pines kids

Creaking pines kids Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2010
    NC
    [​IMG]

8. Blarneyeggs

Blarneyeggs Overrun With Chickens

Oct 22, 2011
    Southeast PA
    Welcome!! From a fellow Pennsylvanian, I too am struggling with the many predator problems we have. I took photos today of a hawk roosting in the treeline above my chicken run and a Bald Eagle across the corn field from my house. Arrrrgh! I believe we are going to have to invest in a livestock guardian dog. Good luck in your choices!

9. Gargoyle

Gargoyle Overrun With Chickens

Apr 13, 2011
    Fox Valley, IL
    My Coop
    Keep in mind, chicken wire keeps chickens in but it does not keep predators out. You need to use hardware cloth, which is the welded wire with square mesh.
    [​IMG]

10. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Hi and [​IMG] from Ohio. So glad you joined. Yes you have come to the right place. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by