Hi from Charlotte, NC!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by em4885, Jul 5, 2016.

1. em4885

em4885 New Egg

May 11, 2016
    Hi everyone! I'm Emily from Charlotte, NC. We are about 60% finished with our coop and I'm very excited about our future flock. I have read through Murray McMurray's catalog and picked out several breeds that I am interested in. However, I cannot accommodate their 15 chick minimum. I thought maybe I could somehow find someone to split an order with me. Anyone have any other recommendations? I have just requested a catalog from Meyer Hatchery. I'm also looking for recommendations on feed stores and a vet for my chickens if necessary.

Also, I'm curious of your opinions on getting chicks this late in the season. Will they be grown enough for the winter?

So many things to think about but I'm looking forward to this new adventure for my family and I.

Nice to meet everyone!

2. Kyanite

Kyanite Loving Life! Premium Member

May 27, 2016
    SE Idaho
    Hello and welcome to BYC. I've never ordered from a hatchery, so I don't know much about their minimums. I got my chicks from a feed store, but usually they only have them early-mid spring. Do you know anyone else who wants chickens too? Sharing an order is a good idea. Or, you could check on the forum to see if anyone in your area has chicks, started pullets, or even hens that they are selling or needing to re-home. Good luck! [​IMG]

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Nice to meet you Emily, Welcome to Backyard chickens. I'm not familiar with hatcheries but, I'm sure some of the greeters yet to come, can fill you in on that. I am fairly certain some allow smaller orders but possibly charge more for the chicks. My Pet Chicken allows small orders however, they get their birds from a hatchery.

You have plenty of time for chicks to grow up enough to make it through the winter. You will be surprised at how large they get - fast!

4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi Emily and welcome to BYC - glad that you have joined us.

Ct

5. BuffOrpington88

BuffOrpington88 Non-Stop

Mar 20, 2012
    Hi and [​IMG] That's interesting-- I've never ordered directly from a hatchery, but MyPetChicken sounds like a good idea, or maybe you could check on Craigslist. And yes, they should definitely be old enough for winter. Thanks for joining us! [​IMG]

6. em4885

em4885 New Egg

May 11, 2016
    Thank you for the warm welcome everyone! Glad to know they will be big enough to survive the winter here although, our winters aren't that bad anyway. I will definitely check out everyone's recommendations for chicks.

Glad to be a part of this community!

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by