hi from chicks in kc

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by kcbrowneggs, Nov 12, 2011.

1. kcbrowneggs

kcbrowneggs New Egg

Nov 12, 2011
    Hello! My husband and our 4 children began our chicken experience on Labor Day weekend. We have 4 sets of twins, plymouths, buff orpingtons, RI Reds, and Black sex-links. We also got a plymouth rooster. He is awesome. His name is Hugh Hefner. It only seemed appropriate with all the twins. We have a fenced, .7 acre lot with an old shed that converted beautifully into a coop. Thus far it has been a really positive experience for the entire family and the birds [​IMG] We have two English Mastiffs and they like the chickens too. They like to herd the birds and eat treats with them. We get about 4 dozen eggs a week now. Eat a lot, share a lot. For me, the most rewarding part about it all is giving the eggs to our neighbors and family members. They are amazed at the differences in size, shape, and color. My Mom saves all of her vegetable compost and brings it over to feed her grandchickens. Probably the best part has been watching the kids gather the eggs and watch the hens lay eggs. It's the most amazing thing they've ever seen! I think my son's eyes were as big as eggs when he saw it for the first time. He was giddy.

I'm really excited to have discovered this site. It will be nice to have a resource for my questions. And also nice to share stories and learn from other chicken lovers. My facebook friends don't quite get it! But they do want the eggs!

2. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG] [​IMG] from WA. glad you joined us!

3. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Overrun With Chickens

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    [​IMG] from kc too! Watch out, I started with 5 chicks around this time last year, now have close to 20 chickens, 3 ducks, a turkey, 5 quail, and am trying to hatch more ducks, lol.

4. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    [​IMG] Welcome [​IMG]

5. CrestedGirl

CrestedGirl Polish Obsessed

Mar 7, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] From North Texas [​IMG] So glad you joined us [​IMG]

6. OregonChickenGal

OregonChickenGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    Central Oregon
    [​IMG]

7. hcppam

hcppam Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] Hello, from the Big Bear mountains of Ca. Glad you found us. [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. MSDeb

MSDeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Welcome to BYC

9. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

10. sunnione

sunnione Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2011
    In the sticks
    [​IMG] from Kansas!

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by