1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hi! from Colorado

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by colorado1, Apr 2, 2016.

1. colorado1

colorado1 New Egg

Apr 2, 2016
    I am new to raising poultry. I have had problems with nutrition with my birds. I have been researching and starting to use different feed and mixing for my needs. I feed a commercial feed (starter-grower) and I have been getting curled or rounded wings on my young turkeys. I have been trying to go more organic. During the winter and early spring I add a combination of rabbit pellets ( approximately 1 cup to 3 cups of starter-grower) and sunflower seeds without the shell ( approximately 2 cups sun flower to 3 cups starter-grower feed). I am still getting the curled feathers. Does this mean I am giving to much protein or still not enough? I am thinking it could be mineral related but not sure. Does anyone have suggestions of what is going on with my turkeys or please tell me what you did to cure the problem with your turkeys. Look forward to hear from everyone.

2. chicken19

chicken19 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2015
    Riding my horse
    My Coop
    Hi!! Welcome to BYC!

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Flock Master Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Please post in detail - photos would be great at the "Turkey thread," . I don't know turkeys but, wonder if this is an inherited problem.

4. colorado1

colorado1 New Egg

Apr 2, 2016
    Thank you for welcoming to the forum.

I am somewhat illiterate with technology. I am no sure if I can get a picture on line. I was wondering as well if this is a heredity problem. Not all my birds get the strange wing feathers. Talking to my local veterinarian he says it is due to nutrition, did not have any suggestions on how to fix the problem.

My chickens do very well on their feed but my turkeys are having issues.

5. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    I think it sounds more like things are completely out of balance with every thing you are adding. I would put everything to the side and give them a high protein (28 range) game bird/turkry grower. I know ranch way makes such a product

6. colorado1

colorado1 New Egg

Apr 2, 2016
    Percheron Chicken,

Thank you for responding to my message. I am doing either Ranch way or Ag Land starter grower. My birds were not doing well on the feed. They were thin and have the curled wing feathers. I started adding more protein because my local vet. said the curled feathers was the lack of nutrition. He had no suggestions on what to use or do. I have through about genetics but I get my birds from different areas and places. I am just not sure where to go with this issue.

7. Percheron chick

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    Are you feeding chick or turkey grower? Are you on well water?
    Lack of nutrition isn't just protein. Rabbit food is mostly alfalfa pellets and only 18% much lower than they need and the SF are high in fat and not great vitamin/mineral profiles. I would run numbers on what you are feeding and the holes should be pretty obvious.

Amazing you have found a vet that does poultry.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2016
  8. Percheron chick

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    The other part is the damage is done and you will not see improved feathers until they molt.

9. CTKen

CTKen Monkey business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - you have some great advice already so I'll just say hello!

All the best
    CT

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by