1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hi from Elaine in Oregon

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by HobbitLovr, Jun 6, 2016.

1. HobbitLovr

HobbitLovr New Egg

Jun 3, 2016
    Oregon
    (1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?

I was around chickens as a child and when I was a teenager I bought two chicks and hid them in my bedroom for months, until one day my Dad came to me and said

"Elaine, you know those two chickens you have in your bedroom?"
    "uh... yes Dad?"
    "Don't you think it's about time we built them a coop?"

And that's when my real experience with raising chickens began! I eventually got some ducks and turkeys, too!

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
    Three hens.

(3) What breeds do you have?
    1) A black Barred Rock/Rhode Island Red crossbreed named Raven (4 mos old)
    2) Buff Orpington named Buffy (
    here's a video about her) - 2 mos old
    3) Cuckoo Marans named Cuckoo, Buffy's best friend. - 2 mos old

When we put them together Raven tries to be dominant and pecks them, so we haven't joined the three together yet. We are waiting until Buffy and Cuckoo get bigger and will be less intimidated. Any advise on how to join them peacefully would be appreciated! Raven originally had a sister the same age, but she died, leaving Raven upset and lonely. So we got the other two hoping they would keep each other company. Not sure how that's going to work now.

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com?
    I visited this site years when I was raising another brood. Probably found it through a web search.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
    Videographer. Genealogist. Loving Grandma. Took my 12 year old grandson to Alaska to have an adventure! Last summer I built a Hobbit Hole Playhouse in my backyard. It's for my youngest grandchild when she comes over! (that's what I tell people) OK I'm a fan of JRR Tolkien. I also like to draw and play Draw Something - if you want to play with me my handle is HobbitLovr

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
    I am a Director of Information Technology in Oregon. The kids are grown now, so it's just me, my husband, the cat and chickens. I just built a larger run for the chickens and am now exploring watering systems. I have also been experimenting with herbs and oils for keeping spiders out of the playhouse. I am looking into DE and herbal ways to control bugs around the chicken coop and nest boxes. I look forward to reading everyone's posts and learning from the wealth of knowledge and experience out here. We love our girls! :)> :)> :)>

Elaine

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hi, Elaine, welcome to BYC.

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Nice to meet you Elaine, Welcome to Backyard chickens. I loved your introduction and was really relieved to hear Buffy is okay. What a well behaved girl she is, a credit to her breed.

Maybe she will go broody for you and you can raise some more like her.

4. Chicken Egg 17

Chicken Egg 17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2015
    McVeytown PA
    Hi and welcome to BYC I am glad you could join us I have to long of a chicken story so maybe tomarrow I will share

5. CTKen

CTKen Monkey business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
  6. IrishFarmGirl

IrishFarmGirl Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2016
    Oregon
    Hi Elaine! Welcome! I am also from Oregon, and it's nice to see another webfoot on here!

This is an awesome place to learn more and just interact with other people nutty about chickens! I love how you got your chicken start...lol

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Water Under the Bridge Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

8. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

9. HobbitLovr

HobbitLovr New Egg

Jun 3, 2016
    Oregon
    Thank you, Sumi! Glad to be here!

10. HobbitLovr

HobbitLovr New Egg

Jun 3, 2016
    Oregon
    Thanks, BantamFan4Life! I'm having fun already! [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 7, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by