Hi from FL. New chick owner as of today!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Kindazennish, Mar 8, 2014.

1. Kindazennish

Kindazennish Out Of The Brooder

Mar 8, 2014
    I got my first chickens today - 4 little babies of all different types because we couldn't decide on a type. I know nothing about chickens that I haven't learned in the last few weeks, so this should be a bit of an adventure. We got a
    Black Australorp, an ​
    Ameraucana, one that was just labeled 'assorted Bantams' that's WAY smaller than the others, and one that was just labeled Buff - looking at pics online I think she's an Orpington. That one is pretty much a ball of yellow fluff like you would typically see in an Easter commercial.

We did all kinds of research on what kinds would work well and then ended up going with what the people there suggested. Wish me luck, I'm going to need it and so are the little ones! :)

2. Ren2014

Ren2014 Blessed Beyond Hope Premium Member

Jan 27, 2014
    Texas
    Hello [​IMG] and [​IMG]. Lots of luck to you and your new chicks[​IMG]

3. chickenlady772

chickenlady772 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2013
    Vero Beach , Florida
    Welcome! What part of fl are you from? Your in fun a fun and exciting time with your chickens.

4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

Good luck with your new babies and enjoy BYC!

5. Kindazennish

Mar 8, 2014
    I'm in Hudson, not too far from Tampa.

6. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Good luck with your new chicks!

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    you are gonna love them [​IMG]

8. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC - good luck with your chicks.

9. Kindazennish

Mar 8, 2014
    Thanks all! :) So far they are making me a nervous wreck. I don't know how they are supposed to act so when I walk in and they're sleeping I look to make sure they're breathing and when they preen (is that what they do?) I wonder if they have mites, when they get really loud or really quiet I wonder why, pretty much anything they do I worry about. Can you tell I was raised in the city?

They only bad thing that's actually happened is one or two of them had that 'pasty butt' thing, so I read up here and added a bit of apple cider vinegar to their water. Hope that helps!!

They're in my daughter's room now, would putting them in a bathroom be ok? My worry is that the shower steam might some how bother them. If not they may end up in the garage until the coop is ready, the heat light is a bit bright and they are a bit cheerfully chirpy to be in a bedroom!

I''m glad I found this site when I was deciding to get them, there is SO much information and just fun things to read here!

10. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    It is natural to be a nervous mommy. I have raised lots of broods over the years and I STILL get up at midnight to check on them. [​IMG] You can add about 1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar to one quart waterer. Use plastic only. Change it daily. If you have any probiotics, even human grade are great, this is even better!! Dump a capsule in a 1 quart waterer. Change daily. Really boosts the immune system and gets them off to a great start. Or if you have some plain yogurt, this is great too. Just dip a regular teaspoon in the yogurt and let them eat it off the spoon. Excellent treat they enjoy and good for the gut.

I would avoid the bathroom with all the moisture. Could cause lots of trouble. Too wet and warm.

Good luck with your new babies!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by