1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hi from Florida

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Carlena, Feb 24, 2016.

1. Carlena

Carlena Out Of The Brooder

Feb 23, 2016
    Florida
    We have 4 Reds ((hens)) raised from baby chicks to laying hens.

Just recently got a full grown tiny rooster and trying to get him placed in with the hens. Looking for lots of advice on how to do that. I told a story on another persons thread if you wish to read it, it's kinda funny how the olé rooster sneaks in the roost at night time but is terrified of the hens in the daytime lol

It's Great to be here and have finally signed in, although I been a 'lurker' for almost a year

Lotsa good tips I've used from here..

Thanks,
    Carlena

2. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    [​IMG]

Last week I put my old rooster with three young hens. The old coot thinks he died and went to chicken heaven.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. CTKen

CTKen Monkey business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi Carlena and welcome to BYC - glad that you have joined us (gotta beat lurking for sure). I'd say that after quarantine, two nights locked in the coop and he'll be good to go (thats how long i leave mine in the coop before they go out and about and they seem to know where to return on an evening). He'll be fine with your girls, although don't be surprised to see your alpha hen give him a bit of a pecking initially.

All the best
    CT

4. KeyFlock

KeyFlock Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2015
    Kansas
    [​IMG] I'm glad you decided to join us Carlena!! It sounds like CT pretty much just told you all you needed to know- good luck with your rooster.

5. Carlena

Feb 23, 2016
    Florida
    Thank you for the warm Welcome.

I Think I'm very worried to let them be with him cause even though he's full grown, the hens are at least 3 times as big as he is. When the 2 'witches' come after him he runs, yells and hides. I will try to get a picture of there size compared to him and post it.

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Water Under the Bridge Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    That is the way most flocks are when a new bird or birds are introduced. You are right to be concerned for him. Pecking order can be a savage thing if not supervised. Please check out the "integration" threads (put in search box) and they will pop up. The best way is the "look but don't touch method." Basically you partition off part of the coop and run, or use a safe cage. You would put the new rooster in the cage(with food and water) so the others can see him and check him out without being able to harm him. After a period of time they will just ignore him. Then you supervise any time he spends together with themloose. If you have some really nasty birds, they may need to be in cages for a few days so they are knocked lower on the pecking order, when they come back.

8. Carlena

Feb 23, 2016
    Florida

Yep, I did the partition for 5 days and then I let him out supervised with me sitting in with a long stick....the 2 dominant ones when they tried to chase and peck him all I had to do was raise the stick and they would 'back off'....one is fine now but the other one is still doing it, and I clicked a picture of her and if you really notice she has that 'look' of being Bossy

[​IMG]

I am gonna block her off today and see if that works....thank you for all the advice, I appreciate it

9. Carlena

Feb 23, 2016
    Florida
    Notice the size of them compared to him?? The one beside him is the sweetest to him and he has even 'mounted' her but he fits at her head so I don't see any real breeding here lol. The dominant one looking on is the only problem then he's good to go FREE .... He is such a Sweet rooster that wants to 'belong' to the Group

10. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Hi Carlena, [​IMG]

You've been given some good advice already so I'll just say it's nice to have you here!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by