HI From Florida

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by LilBit, Apr 7, 2009.

1. LilBit

LilBit New Egg

Apr 7, 2009
    Hello, my name is Lil Bit. I chose that name here to honor my first hen and the grandmother to my flock. She passed away many years ago but not before she filled my life with many funny and fun stories and all the love she had to give me.

When I first got her she was just a few week old. A friend gave her to me along with her sibling. Her sibling was carried off by a hawk within a few hours after I got them. From that moment on Lil Bit became a house chicken. This is were the fun began. She followed me everywhere and came whenever I called her name. She hung out with my dog, cats, cow and pig.

Around the time she was old enough to lay her first egg, we were experience floods in our town. We lived very close to the river and at one point had a foot of water in our house. Lil Bit stayed on a floating door for the duration on the flood. Her bed was a cardboard box that she slept in every night up until it got wet. Her very first egg was layed on that door and rolled off into the water. I found the egg.

I had Lil Bit for two years before I finally got a rooster for her. Up until that time she would sit for periods of time in a nest that she made in a plant stand. She didn't lay any eggs after that one that fell into the water, but instead she sat on my grandson teething ring. LOL I tried to take it away from her a couple times thinking that my grandson was putting it in there. But one day I actually seen her picking it up and putting it into her nest. She was very attentive to that teething ring.

She hatched two clutches of eggs before she died. Right now I have her son Rooster Cogburn in a pen with a little white hen in hopes of getting some babies from him. He is about 10 years old now and I think he is going blind.

Rooster Cogburn is a little guy. When he was about three days old I noticed he had a stick stuck in his chest. I pulled it out and put medicine on it. The next day when I was checking him over I found that there was the other end of that stick, sticking out by his legs. I was in shock. I have never been sure how it got there, but thought maybe he got hit with the stick from the lawn mower.

He was a tough little guy. Within a day after I got the back stick out he was up and chasing his siblings again. Because he is so little though my other rooster would never let him have any hens. He spent a good portion of his life a loner. He is a very happy rooster now.

I cannot remember the breed that Lil Bit was, she was a mix of two. I know one was Frizzle, but the other was more fancy. I have two hens that lay the easter eggs colors. Some lay big eggs and some lay the tiniest eggs.

The main purpose of my flock is for bug and spider control in the yard. We don't eat the eggs, nor do we butcher them. I do give away roosters when we can't sleep at night because there is a chorus of roosters crowing at all hours of the night. I tend to get more roosters then hens in each clutch.

I love my flock and get a kick out of them when the follow me like little ducks in a row all around the yard when I am feeding all my animals. My pony love to share her sweet feed with them and my grandkids love to play with the chicks.

I hope to learn more about chickens and hens here and get to know the people of this forum.

I do have a friend here on this forum and have to wonder if she will recognize me by my long posts LOL.

Lil Bit!

PS I am dyslexic and sometimes I don't catch all my mistakes. Please point them out if you see them. Thanks. I just fixed one that was the word said instead of sat.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2009
  2. paduanchook

paduanchook Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2008
    McDavid Florida
    hello from fellow floridian! i hope you enjoy this site and learn alot, i have. there are many people that would be glad to help, good luck, mark

3. n-da-woods

n-da-woods Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2009
    North Carolina
    [​IMG] From NC

4. Hello and Welcome to BYC , glad to have you here ! [​IMG]

5. mullers3acers

mullers3acers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2007
    la porte, In
    [​IMG]

6. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    [​IMG] from TN

7. Buckhorn Farm

Buckhorn Farm OLD Country Girl

Mar 30, 2009
    North Florida
    [​IMG] Welome, I am from Florida as well. This is a great place, you'll love it.

8. lesliet

lesliet Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2007
    Webster, FL
    [​IMG]

9. rachiegirl

rachiegirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2009
    Beaver Co. PA
    [​IMG] from PA!

10. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    [​IMG] from Palm Beach County! Where are you in Florida?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by