Hi from Florida!

Tarac

In the Brooder
6 Years
Feb 27, 2013
Gainesville, FL
Hello from sunny Florida everyone! New here, lurked long enough I think. So...

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?

Consider myself a "newbie" but I have had a total of 6 chickens in the past 10 years. Lost two to newbie-ness... didn't realize that a racoon didn't actually have to get in to the coop to get your chickens out. Hard lesson learned.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?

I have ZERO chickens right now. I had the remaining six up until about two years ago when my living arrangements unexpectedly changed. They now reside with my veterinarian and spend their retirement days with his family chickens, an emu and small flock of homing pigeons, plus assorted other critters. I just bought my first home in mid January and immediately started constructing a real coop and run (dog-kennel style a la the wonderful ideas here)- with two layers of protection, foundation, etc. It's secure now, just needs to be beautified. I miss having the ladies around, they were a great source of enjoyment. Now that we are decidedly settled we're ready to have a little flock again.

(3) What breeds do you have?

None
sad.png
... but I do have a decent wish list.

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com?

Browsing online for coop ideas.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?

Art, invertebrates, plants of all kinds, the gym, cooking, anything outdoorsy, aquaculture, on and on. I find most things are interesting if you look at them in enough detail.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

No kids yet but we do have our "kids", our two dogs- a dane and a shelter mix- and my modest collection of 60 or so tarantulas. I'm a medical researcher at UF (go Gators!).

Back
Top Bottom