1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hi from Fresno!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by anthrogirl, Sep 11, 2016.

1. anthrogirl

anthrogirl Out Of The Brooder

Sep 11, 2016
    Fresno CA
    Hi y'all! I'm relatively new to chickens, My family and I just had our first chicks hatch (so wonderful, yet so nerve-wracking!)

We had our 3 chickens for a while and sadly one of them died of heatstroke during our 110 degree heatwave this summer (it lasted a whole week!) So we installed a new water mister system, gave them some ice bottles and then set out to get a new chicken to keep our other chickens (a sweet buff orpington called 'Goldie' and a spirited Silver Laced Wyandotte (sp?) named Tamaka) company.

When we went to pick up our new girl (Olive, a shy black Jersey Giant) the owner offered us a dozen possibly fertilized eggs (she only had 2 rooster and roughtly 60 hens) for our broody Buff Orpington Goldie to sit on, and we figured it was worth a try.

We weren't to optimistic that they would hatch and didn't try to candle until day 14 when we were thrilled to see that 2 of the eggs had chicks in them! after that I ended up furiously researching chick hatching (we knew almost nothing about it)

18 days later we were shocked to find one of them hatching early (or maybe on time, they were supposedly laid on the same day, but the owner might have been mistaken) we named it 'Pip'

2 days later we figured we were only going to have one chick, then Shelly surprised us all by pipping and then waiting an agonizing 24 hours to hatch (much frantic googling of hatching times took place...)

Pip is now 5 days old and Shelly is 2 days old, they get along great and Goldie seems to be an excellent chicken mama!

here's a quick picture we took of them today <3 (Shelly on the left, Pip on the right)
    [​IMG]

We have no idea who their parents were, there were 2 roosters (one Wellsummer, one Americana mix) and several breeds of hen that were laying , Black Jersey Giants, Red Mixes, Barred Rocks and some brown/black hens she said were Australorps but I think they were Black Sex-Links (based on the pictures I've seen)

Pip has a white spot on it's head so might be a Roo. We're hoping they're both pullets since we live in the suburbs, but if we have a roo we'll definitely get a no-crow collar and keep it, We're really attached to these little ones already!

Pip has yellow/black feed and a light colored beak, Shelly has a black beak and mostly black feet/legs (one toe on each foot is yellow)

any guesses as to their breed mix or gender would be helpful :)

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas and :welcome. Happy you joined our community. That was quite a hatching ordeal you experienced. Sounds like it turned out pretty well. Sorry, I don't have a guess on the chick breed. Too young for me to tell. Good luck to you!

3. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
  4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

5. BuffOrpington88

BuffOrpington88 Non-Stop

Mar 20, 2012
    Hi and welcome to BYC! Thanks for joining us! [​IMG]

6. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Welcome to Backyard chickens anthrogirl !! I hope you enjoy it and the camaraderie here and everybody that goes nuts over chickens (me being one of them....) Have fun! And ask questions! Congrats on a successful hatch! Looks like you've got a good mom on your hands. And what cuties!:love

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

8. anthrogirl

anthrogirl Out Of The Brooder

Sep 11, 2016
    Fresno CA
    Thanks for the warm welcome! :) I'll definitely post them in the breed/gender forum once they're 6 weeks, I'm surprised how quickly they're growing, I knew it was fast but Pip is already getting in a bunch of feathers on it's wing tips!

hatching chicks seems quite addictive, I'm already hoping to hatch some more in the spring, maybe some Opringtons since Goldie is the sweetest chicken (the blue and lavender ones are such a striking color!)

9. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by