Hi from future Orpington owners!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by CocoAndPrincess, Feb 27, 2013.

1. CocoAndPrincess

CocoAndPrincess Out Of The Brooder

Feb 15, 2013
    Hi, everyone!!

My daughter Jamie who turns six in a month has wanted a pet chicken for a long time, and after a lot of research, which included stumbling across TONS of rave reviews about Orpingtons' personalities and friendliness, we finally just ordered 3 buff Orpington chicks (female, allegedly) from a local feedstore. Yay! We're both excited. (Jamie has already named hers Princess, and I've named mine Coco, and we've yet to think of a third name.)

The chicks should arrive in 2 weeks, (or in early April if not in the March shipment), which will be great because we can spend Spring Break just bonding with them and getting to know them. Also, Jamie's birthday is in early April, so this is sort of her birthday present, too.

We're going to a chick info session at the feedstore in a week, and I've already had a one-on-one basic info session from the ladies who work there, as well as from friends & acquaintances who have chickens. Plus, I've gotten some basic info online, and I'm at the library right now checking out all their chicken care books (Chick Days by Jenna Woginrich looks good; I'm thinking I might need to just buy it).So by the time we get the chicks, we should know about all we can at this stage in the game.

But, we'd love to hear from other Orpie owners, both newbies like us and experienced chick caretakers!

-Amy & Jamie

PS- I forgot to say that Jamie wants me to paint the chicken coop PINK! Has anyone out there glammed up their coop (chicken-friendly, of course!)?

2. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    Orpingtons are great and really friendly. Check out the coop section on this site to see some cute coops. It sounds like you will have lots of time to get your chicks used to being handled, which makes them great companions as they grow up.

3. CocoAndPrincess

CocoAndPrincess Out Of The Brooder

Feb 15, 2013
    Thanks, I'll do that!

We've had the chicks 3 days so far, and we love them!

My daughter said, "They're the awesomest pet ever! They're even awesomer than I thought they'd be!"

And I have to agree with her!

4. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    [​IMG]

5. Niki the chicky

Niki the chicky Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2013
    Same!! How ironic [​IMG] , I also just ordered Buff Orbingtons and i also heard they are friendly and have wonderful personalities!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by