Hi from Idaho

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by UrbnGardenPeeps, Apr 28, 2017.

1. UrbnGardenPeeps

UrbnGardenPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2017
    Moscow, ID
    Hi everyone!
    I haven't had chickens in 12 years! My DH and I have been setting up new careers, moving, etc., and didn't have space for them. We bought our house here a year and a half ago and took the plunge with chicks this past month. Our sweet girls (fingers crossed) are 4 wks 3 days old. We have a typical lot in town, not quite 1/4 acre, so we only have 3 chicks. They're Black Australorps. I'm not new to chickens or raising baby birds (I used to raise Zebra Finches) but this is the first time I've had baby chickens! I'm in LOVE! They're such sweet pets already. They like to sit on my hand and my lap and peck at my red rubber boots. I just adore them. We named them Harriet, Wanda and Elda after 3 of our grandmas who are no longer with us.

Thanks for all the useful information on this site. It's been very helpful! This isn't the clearest picture of the girls but it's the only one I have at the moment.

[​IMG]

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to Backyard Chickens. Hope you will enjoy it as much as we do. Black Australorps are a great breed, and very good layers as well. I am sure you will be very happy once they start laying.

UrbnGardenPeeps likes this.
  3. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC and congrats on your littles!

You'll find lots of info in the Learning Centre - https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center and if you have a specific topic in mind, just type it in the search box - there's a wealth of information on past and present threads.

You may wish to consider joining your state thread as it will put you in touch with other BYC members in your area - https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/270925/find-your-states-thread#post_3239224

All the best
    CT

4. UrbnGardenPeeps

Apr 28, 2017
    Moscow, ID
    Oh thanks! I'll check that out!

5. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC and the poultry keeping addiction -- I am so very glad you have joined us! Looks like quite the home you have built for them, they will be very happy birds indeed!

6. UrbnGardenPeeps

Apr 28, 2017
    Moscow, ID

Thank You! We are going to build them a run as well but it's going to be quite the task since we have backyard raccoons, skunks and even visiting moose to protect them from. In town no less. It's gotta stop raining so we can get started!

7. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under UrbnGardenPeeps [​IMG] Welcome & Congratulations!

As you have already received links to some good starting points, I will just wish you all the best.

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

If you would like to share more pictures and stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out [​IMG]

UrbnGardenPeeps likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by