1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hi from Indiana

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by homesteadmomma, Mar 26, 2011.

1. homesteadmomma

homesteadmomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2011
    Parke Co. Indiana
    Today our family has chickens for the second time and chicks for the first. We raised quite a variety of mutts for eggs for quite a few years, but most had passed and a few others were dinner after their retirement. Today at Rural King the kids fell in love with a little banty. The husband did the huff and eyeroll, and helped pick up a couple of them and another 6 from the $.50 brooder. Not sure on either breed, and when I get a few more posts, I will most likely post a picture of the clan. Since we had not planned on having chicks, we threw together a brooder out of an old plastic tub and a heat lamp with some poplar wood shavings from the pantry shelf boards we planed this week, and picked up a feeder and water dish at the store. I'm not sure of the age of any of them. I can assume the banty is 4-5 days and the other chicks are 3-4 weeks. However, since I have never raised chicks before, I have no clue, and am just purely guessing based on other pictures. I could be horribly off. I feel pretty confident that I can plan on most being roos, although one of the older chicks does have a very hen-ish shaped head. I'm sure there are many of you that could tell by a picture very easily.

So now I have chicken fever and have started looking into starting a new clan. I have a nice coop that easily held 25-30 hens when we had them, and I'm thinking of maybe trying to get around 20 hens this time around, and if project chicks works out, I will probably even let a few eggs hatch from time to time. Funny how much I missed having chickens around and a rooster crowing in the morning.

2. dkvart1

dkvart1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    Greetings and [​IMG]

3. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    [​IMG] fellow Hoosier! [​IMG] [​IMG]

Are your kids in 4-H? If not I bet they would love it. I'm the poultry person for Franklin Township 4-H and I could try to answer any and all questions if you have any. Just send me a pm [​IMG]

AC

4. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Louisiana! Welcome back to the crazy chicken world!! [​IMG]

5. Desert Rooster

Desert Rooster El Gallo Del Desierto

Sep 4, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca
    Hello [​IMG] from Hesperia, Ca and [​IMG]

6. Ms.FuzzyButts

Ms.FuzzyButts Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2009
    North Alabama
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

7. backyardmenagerie

backyardmenagerie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2011
    Kansas
    [​IMG] from Kansas!
    I agree Attack Chicken, 4H rocks! I spent 12 years in 4H, and loved every minute of it. It's a great learning experience!

8. jojo54

jojo54 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2009
    BC Canada
    [​IMG] Welcome from BC, Canada. [​IMG]

9. Chicken.Lytle

Chicken.Lytle Chillin' With My Peeps

Welcome to BYC! I started with chickens over the summer and the people of BYC have been great. Please visit my BYC Page for my blog links that you may find informative or amusing.

10. NewHopePoultry

NewHopePoultry Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2007
    Troy,Missouri
    [​IMG] from Missouri [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by