Hi from Kansas.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by mommahen10, Sep 10, 2012.

1. mommahen10

mommahen10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2012
    Hi. My name is Treva and I'm from Kansas. We have lots of children, and too many chickens to count. I think I've got myself in a bit too deep very quickly and I need some help getting things set up better so my chicks will be happy.

Many Blessings to all!!!

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

3. mommahen10

Sep 10, 2012
    So in between my usual chores in this busy house I will check back here. To be more specific though, we've always had chickens, just enough hens to provide us with eggs. Either we would buy them or someone would give us some and that's been wonderful. I took it a step further this year, just to try it we hatched a few eggs under a lightbulb and we 100% hatch rate and it was just so amazing and fun we just kept on going. In our old chicken coop we've always made 50 our maximum capacity, and we never get below 30 chickens in there. My problem with this coop now is that I don't know who's who anymore. I don't know which ones are old ones and which ones are young ones. I can't tell the boys from the girls in the new ones at all. I know some of these aren't laying anymore, as we have about 50 in there and we're only getting about 10 eggs per day. I also know that half of these chickens are my new ones too young and some boys. So, I would like to get some ideas as to how to keep them straight or figure out who's laying, how old they are, and boys from girls.

My next thought is that if we are to continue hatching when the new chicks start laying, I will have to get a different rooster, right? It won't be long and the first few chicks should be laying if they are hens. I need to come up with a system to keep everyone straight.

Another issue I'm having that I never have experienced is that when we put the last hatch of chicks in with the big chicks there was one chicken(don't know gender, about 2 months) that kept getting stuck and seemingly on purpose. We would get it out and it would do it again and again. We moved this chicken back to the pen with the smaller chicks which were about a month younger, but it behaved aggressively to the younger ones so we isolated it in another pen. This poor chicken, I behaves so oddly. It just paces back and forth and it makes me so sad. It's been alone for about a week so we will try again to put it in with the chickens and watch closely.

Next area where I would like input is cleaning. Our big chicken coop is big enough that I feel like we are okay just raking it out when needed. But the little chicken cook for my smaller chickens is like a box of wire on the ground. It didn't bother me when there was a break in using it inbetween hatches, we would rake it out and it would sit empty for a while. But now, I'm raking it out and putting new chicks in it right away. I'm feeling like this is a time bomb, if we have any sort of infection come through I'm going to infect one group and then the next. Is there something I can put on the ground to at least cut down on microbial growth before putting the next chicks in?

We have another big chicken coop in progress now, I am hoping to use this to sort them somehow. Also, if we are going to have so many chickens they can't really be just for fun anymore. I will have to start selling some and maybe selling eggs too, any advide in this area would be appreciated too. I don't feel overly worried about specific breeds or anything, I just love my chickens and I love hatching them, and I love sitting there and watching them. I appreciate my moment to walk away from the kitchen sink, which I'm sure my foot prints are permanently in my floor I spend so much time there, it's my breather time to go take care of my chickens.

Thanks so much for listening, and your help is greatly appreciated.
    Many Blessings, Treva

4. mommahen10

Sep 10, 2012
    Thanks Sumi! Your little chick is so adorable! [​IMG]

5. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

6. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Howdy from a fellow Kansan, Treva, and [​IMG]! Happy you found us! Always great to see other Jayhawkers (or Wildcats, Shockers, etc.) on this site! What part of the state do you call home?

7. mommahen10

Sep 10, 2012
    Thanks so much for the warm welcome everyone!!! My husband does Jayhawks, I'm just not a sports person. We are in SE Kansas, Humboldt which is between Iola and Chanute. We have 7+ acres to play on. Howdy neighbor! [​IMG]

8. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    I know the area but just in a passing through kinda way. I'm from up around Milford Lake. Happy you are here. Also, if you go to the Social Forum and find Where Am I? Where Are You?, you can click on the thread called Consolidated Kansas where other Kansans tend to congregate and chat chickens! See you around! [​IMG]

9. jbirds2012

jbirds2012 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2012
    paicines, ca.
    [​IMG]

10. Roxannemc

Roxannemc Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2012
    SE Missouri
    Hello From Mo!!
    Glad your here.Yes that "chicken math" can take over once you incubate!!Who hoo...

Its too much fun.
    I would suggest to put the chickens you want to sell a few at a time on Ebay classified or Craigs list .

Maybe take a few different color eggs layers and put them in one pen with a nest so you can see who is laying and who isnt and what color egg.PPl are looking for laying hens every place.
    Put a sign up at the grocery store on Craigs, Laundry mats for eggs to sell and how much
    I dont know enough abut mature chickens to know why you are only getting so few eggs from what 100 chickens? maybe are they hiding them?Something stealing them?Snakes etc.I would think you would get 25 a day if you have that many hens. Do they have worms or some ailment?

I think the only way to find out whats going on with the older ones and to sort them is to sort them in a smaller cage or pen just a few at a time or even one...see who is laying in the course of 3 days or 4 of good weather when they would lay well.Maybe then mark them in some way .for laying or not.Colored leg band? and so you can tell who you have checked out already and who you havent
    GOOD LUCK!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by