Hi from KY

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by david182, Apr 7, 2012.

1. david182

david182 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2012
    Hi from West KY~ We got started in a very strange way! My daughter was given One chick last weekend when she won a beauty pageant (strange right I know)... Feeling sorry for this adorable little cutie we went straight to Rural King and decided to become proud parents and responsible owners and now have 6 more "friends" for the original chicky... along with assorted food/bedding/heat lamp and such... We have never ovned chicks before but both my grandparents and my husbands parents have so they have been bery helpful in getting started. We have 5 acres and plenty of space so we can't wait to build our outside coop~ currently our cuties are housed in my living room (it's sooo cold still at night) and to be honest what started as my daughters pets are slowly becoming my addiction... I am in LOVE... lol

So I am sure I shall come here with MANY questions over the coming weeks! For now I am just keeping them warm, fed, watered and giving them dailiy play time out of the space they are in (I fear it is too small although they seem happy and content) They are growing so FAST and their feathers are coming in quickly. The store workers at rural king were not sure how old any of our chicks were so from what we understand they cannot go outside until they are fully feathered ~ is that right?

Originally their home had an open top but yesterday 2 became "escape artists" so my husband has added a wire top... one we have lovingly named "crazy" loves to roost on the top of the water bottle and discovered he/she could reign supreme from the side of the tote! So funny ~ we purchased straight run chicks so who knows if we have hens or roosters ... eventually I will have to figure that oune out with all your help!

2. DDNONIN2016

DDNONIN2016 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2012
    SW Ohio
    Awwww cute story. Hello and welcome from Ohio...glad you joined us and best of luck with your new "addiction" [​IMG]

3. Pumpkin King

Pumpkin King Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2012
    Nice Story, Welcome!![​IMG]

4. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    Hello and [​IMG]

5. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Hi and :welcome from Ohio. So glad you joined. :thumbsup

6. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us. Congrats on your chicks and good luck [​IMG]

7. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

8. The Red Rooster

The Red Rooster Poultry Observer

[​IMG]

9. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

[​IMG]

Imp

10. greymane