1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

HI from Lancashire, North West England

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by wolfpup, Mar 24, 2013.

1. wolfpup

wolfpup Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2013
    Hi folks,

First of all, I know a 'wolf' seems a bit daft for an avatar and username bearing in mind the forum - but its the username I use on other forums.

I am brand new to chicken keeping - my girls arrived yesterday! They are four ex-battery hens. However these are fully feathered and have been looked after by the rescuers for about 2 months where they have had time to rehabilitate to life outside the cages and/or 'barn', gain strength and re-grow their feathers. They are approximately 18 months to 2 years old. They have already provided me with 4 eggs - but the shells are pitifully thin at the moment - two eggs were cracked yesterday - but the two eggs I got this morning were whole. I will soon sort the thin shells out - not worried about that. Also the yolks are very pale - hoping the good quality pellets will sort that out - but would be grateful for suggestions please.

I found this site on a search for tutorials and information on chicken welfare

As for other animals, I have two rescued cats and a rescue collie/lab cross and a rescue Utonagon (anyone seeing a trend here)?

I am a retired IT lecturer (female) and am interested in growing my own vegetables, well as far as I can in my small garden - mostly container growing as I am on the coast and have no 'soil' - its salty clay - we are approximately 10ft under sea level - which is only a 5 min walk away.

Hope that is enough of an intro - but if you want to know anything else - I am an open book

see you on the forum

Wolfie

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings, wolfpup, and [​IMG]! Great to have you here! Believe me, your avatar and user name will fit in quite nicely around here! Great that you got yourself some chickens! Lots of folks are going back to the simpler ways of life with livestock and gardening. Best of luck to you!

1 person likes this.
  3. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    [​IMG] Welcome to the world of chickens!

4. DDNONIN2016

DDNONIN2016 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2012
    SW Ohio
    Hello and welcome from Ohio....so glad you joined BYC

Bless you for rescuing animals in need. There are so many that need homes

Good luck with your gardening and new girls. Cant wait to see some pics

5. KaysKoop

KaysKoop Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2013
    Glad to have you aboard.. Hope you post pics soon. Bless you for resecuing all animals. You are very special and will receive much love for your efforts. Thanks for joining us!

6. danihen

danihen Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2013
    Hi, I'm in the uk too! Welcome to the world of chickens, life will be impossible without them from now on!!

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

8. wolfpup

wolfpup Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2013
    Thanks for the welcome folks - will take me some time to work out what all the icons are for and the way the forum works - so although I have done a thread in another forum in the UK about creating space, cleaning it in prep for the coop - with piccies showing the various stages including a piccie of the girls on their first day of freedom in the run, I as yet have no idea how to put it up here - or indeed if anyone would be interested in it.

I am one of those people who prefer animals to most people I have met - I could not entertain my life without animals to share it with - all my dogs and cats going back 40 odd years have been rescues. My 12 yr old lab/collie cross I got last year - he was rescued from the pound an hour before he was due to be put down. He attacked me twice in the first 2 months, breaking my middle finger and badly lacerating the thumb area - after paying for a dog 'therapist' who was evidently scared of him and was totally useless, I found out he had focal epilepsy and is now on medication for it, plus steroids for severed arthritis. He is now 12 years going on 2 years - like a puppy, runs like the wind and loves to chase anything he can. Also even though he weighs 30 kilos he loves to climb on hubbys knee and be cuddled like a lap-dog. My Ute I got at 12 weeks old - and I was his third owner - fourth if you count the breeder, he is 6 now and very naughty but I idolize him.

9. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

10. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC!! [​IMG] Glad you joined us!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by