Hi from Louisiana

bogielousa

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 13, 2011
The Swamp
Hi! I've been reading this site for months, learning a few things here and there but wandered on over here again just recently looking at duck information as I try to figure out if my little ducklings are male or female and if I really have a Magpie or an Ancona (he's white and blackish green/ but looks more like a magpie with green bill but I haven't found any info on whether a magpie can be green)

Eventually chickens will be added to my little menagerie (probably next spring) and figured I probably should go ahead and join the forum because I'm gonna need tips on building a chicken tractor
tongue.png

My little farm consists of horses, dogs, goats, cats, and recently 10 little rapidly growing ducklings (when are they officially 'ducks'? I'll have to figure that one out
tongue.png
) Chickens are next on the 'grow the farm' schedule and eventually sheep and a cow or two (hopefully mini cows
tongue.png
So I don't end up running out of room
tongue.png
)

Hello bogielousa! Welcome to BYC,.. I don't know much about ducks,. except that they are really cute,.. but there is a ton of info on BYC to help you and you will find some other duck owners at our Louisiana thread,.. come join us! that is IF you're from Bogalusa???? just guessing from the name?

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=160883&p=386

I'm in Lacombe
frow.gif

Last edited:
Actually, I'm not from Bogalusa, lol, though I do laugh when people ask because it was a play on words that started with the town's name. I'm on the SW side of the state, just a bit south of Crowley
big_smile.png
between two smaller towns, one of which is the duck capital
wink.png
but most people recognize Crowley before they recognize Gueydan so I usually use Crowley as a reference point, lol.

Bogielousa is the nickname my dad calls my dog Bogie, lol. He's spotted KINDA like an appaloosa horse, (blue merle aussie) but I like the name so much because of the Louisiana reference that I kept it, hehe. The name travels with me because I got the ducks specifically to teach eventually the dogs, more specifically Bogie, to work ducks so that we can maybe do some herding dog trials
big_smile.png
and once they accomplish that they'll retire to my pond as pretty ornaments
big_smile.png

frow.gif
&
welcome-byc.gif
from Alabama. Aussies are a great breed, aren't they? I had one as a teenager, & she was very easily trained to herd my grandmother's ducks & it was something she loved doing. Good luck with your ducklings & with teaching Bogie to herd
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom