Hi, from Madison County, FL

SAMnELLA

Crowing
15 Years
Oct 19, 2008
North Florida
frow.gif
We just moved from south florida, and recently a neighbor gave us two hens. I love them but having a time getting rid of the fleas on their heads. I may have to give them back and get new hens. If anyone in this area has experience with this please let me know what to do. Today I put a permethrin liquid on where the fleas are and poultry dusted the rest of their bodies. I had chickens 5 years ago so I can't say I didn't know about the fleas, just forgot. Just wondering if there's anything else I can do to get rid of the fleas. Thanks (actually I'm not a new member, but last post was about 5 years ago)

Last edited:
welcome-byc.gif

Welcome back.

You can try also DAWN liquid soap. It will kill the fleas but it has to be on them for 5 minutes. My chickens did not mind being in the warm water but did not enjoy water from the tap during rinsing.

Caroline From JAX fl

Well I'm back again LOL I couldn't remember my password. Also finally got some different chickens. My neighbor has these chickens that are part game which I wasn't sure was going to work out, but they seem to be very hardy and we are getting small eggs almost every day now. I also bought two other hens. One is a Dominique, and the other a Red Star. They give me large eggs, but not every day. I'm hoping it's just because of the crazy weather. So hello again ! :)

Back
Top Bottom