1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hi from Maine

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by jamz, May 4, 2009.

1. jamz

jamz Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2009
    Southern Maine
    Hi all,

Like so many others, decided to keep chickens for eggs and food chain education for my kids. (I had my concerns about chickens surviving Maine winters, especially where we live, on a hill, subject to extremely high winds).

We ordered 5 chicks from mypetchicken.com, and they arrived last week- cutest little buggers I ever did see. They shipped 6, so we gave 3 away to a friend who also wanted some, and kept 3. I told my kids that they were not "pets" but rather "outside animals" and they were NOT to be named.

So here we are, a week later, with Speckle, Red and Dot. They go outside every so often during warm, calm periods in a small pen I built, but otherwise hang in the brooder, acting all cute. Going to build a triangular chicken tractor in a couple of weeks, because it is more secure in the wind. Looking forward to learning more!

2. gamebirdsonly

gamebirdsonly Overrun With Chickens

Mar 5, 2007
    UTAH
    [​IMG] from Utah

3. gpamela3499

gpamela3499 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    Near San Fran Ca
    [​IMG]
    From California

4. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    [​IMG]

5. Lunachick

Lunachick Chicken Slave

Mar 19, 2007
    Brick, NJ
    [​IMG] from New Jersey! I ordered the 5 mystery chick package from MPC. Aren't they cute???? I've finally figured out what they are, from help on here! Make a big tractor, you'll want more!

6. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    [​IMG] from TN

7. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

[​IMG] and [​IMG] from S. Florida.

8. NewHopePoultry

NewHopePoultry Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2007
    Troy,Missouri
    [​IMG] from Missouri

9. joedie

joedie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    SW Indiana
    [​IMG] from Indiana! I only wanted enough for eggs for my family and a few friends. Started out with 12, two weeks later got 11 more and 4 more coming on Friday. They are addictive!

10. Skitz

Skitz Skitz15k

Nov 11, 2008
    Texas
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by