Hi from Manitoba, Canada!

Brens-hens

In the Brooder
Apr 27, 2020
Hi,

In a month we will be receiving 20 chicks. 10 Columbia’s Plymouth Rocks x Reds and 10 Barred Plymouth Rocks. The primary reason we wanted chickens is for eggs.

I am looking for more information on open air coops. I am in the process of reading Wood’s book Modern Fresh Air Poultry House. I am interested in learning more about this type of coop and would love any input. We are located in Central Manitoba so our winters tend to be cold. Anywhere between -20 C to -35 C before the windchill. I do know a few local chicken farmers who raise their flock in unheated structures but struggle with poor egg production during the winter.

The plan is to free range the birds during the day, but may need to use an electrified poultry fence to protect them from the neighbourhood dogs. We live on an acreage so they will have plenty of space with bugs, worms and fresh grass.😊

Glad to have found this resourceful forum!

Hi and welcome to BYC. Coop ideas can be found in the first link, below. Here are some helpful links:
Any questions that you may have regarding your chicks will be best posted here - Raising baby chicks forum

Best wishes

Pork Pie

Back
Top Bottom