Hi from Massachusetts!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by khark74, Jun 3, 2012.

1. khark74

khark74 In the Brooder

May 28, 2012
    Massachusetts
    Hi BYC friends - Thanks you (already) from this proud momma of nine 2 week old chicks. 2 white (?) and 1 black (?) that were hatched during 4th grade science and 3 Brown Leghorns and 3 Aracunas from the feed store. These are our first chicks, although we've been talking about them for a while. Coop and run are in process, will post photos soon, promise:) I have learned so much already from this forum, you are a wonderful group!

2. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Crowing

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Hi and :welcome from Ohio. So glad you joined.Congrats and enjoy the site. :thumbsup

3. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Free Ranging

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan :D

4. [​IMG] [​IMG] from washington state glad you joined us!

5. Fierlin1182

Fierlin1182 powered-flight

Aug 26, 2011
    Hello and :welcome

Best of luck with your chicks! They sound very sweet. Looking forward to seeing pictures. :p

Don't hesitate to ask any questions you might have, and enjoy the site. :D

6. GoldenSparrow

GoldenSparrow Songster

Mar 11, 2011
    [​IMG] from Cape Cod MA!

7. weimarmama

weimarmama Crowing

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us. Congrats on your chicks and good luck [​IMG]

8. Kevin565

Kevin565 Crowing

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

9. khark74

khark74 In the Brooder

May 28, 2012
    Massachusetts
    Thank you for the welcomes!

Just posting a quick note to let you know how my week has been. The chicks are 3 weeks old, and things seem to be progressing as well as could be expected for this new chick owner. Shadow (unknown breed and gender black chick) started getting pecked on and by Tuesday dinnertime had lost her tail; I couldn't figure out who was doing the pecking, it seemed like a couple were pecking. I suspect that Shadow had perched ontop of the waterer and may have been pulled off. So Shadow was put into her own breeder/apartment next to the main brooder - I gave her a mirror, but she's been pretty sad being isolated like that. New red light and blue kote purchased, roosts installed in the main brooder and egg yolks and plain yogurt introduced to help keep everyone entertained. And some time, of course, to let things heal. Today, I put Shadow back into the main brooder and quickly noticed that Dottie and Jennifer (both brown leghorns) were the primary peckers. So now, Dottie and Jennifer each have their own apartments next to the main brooder and everyone seems fine again. I am not sure how long to keep them in timeout, so I'll give it a couple of days before I try to put everyone back together.

On the plus side, the roosts seem to be a big hit - at one point this morning, 6 of the 8 chicks were roosting - I just don't think there was room enough for all 8 to get up there - couldn't believe they all figured out how to get up in just over a day - amazing how fast they figure stuff out. One question I had is - Is it "normal" for the chicks on the ground to peck at the feet of those on the roosts? My roosts are only 6-7 inches off the ground - do I need to raise them up or is that just the way chicks are?

10. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    Glad everything is going well and welcome to byc. I don't think that's normal for them to pick at the other chicks feet but as long as its not doing any damage then it should be fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: