1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hi from MD! Looking for pullets...

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by farmerwomanwannabe, Jun 17, 2011.

1. farmerwomanwannabe

farmerwomanwannabe Out Of The Brooder

Jun 14, 2011
    Maryland
    Hi everyone!

I've been stalking around for a while now and doing a lot of research. My husband and I are working on our coop this weekend and Im looking for a few pullets close to or already laying to get started (my plan is to add a few each season to keep a good supply of eggs as some get older because I doubt Ill have the heart to process them, is it a good idea?). I may also order some chicks soon, or wait until fall haven't decided on that yet. It will depend if I can convince my husband to keep them indoors [​IMG]

I'm finding that I really cant be too picky for these pullets since not many people are selling them, so I'll probably go with whatever I can find but Id love to find some Americaunas, Deleaware, or Welsummer. It would be nice to start with a mix, but more impoartantly I want them to all come from the same place so I dont have to worry about quarantine. I'd also be happy with RIRs or Stars, cause we're really just looking for good hearty egg layers. I have found a couple people selling on Craigslist but I wanted to ask around here to see if anyone has anything.

I cant figure out how to add my location, I dont think I have enough posts yet, so I cant post this in the auction secion, but if you have anything please let me know! Im in Cecil county, Maryland but Id be willing to travel a few hours for the right pullets. Thanks!!!!!!!!

Last edited: Jun 17, 2011
  2. silkieluver_07

silkieluver_07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Pennsylvania
  3. farmerwomanwannabe

Jun 14, 2011
    Maryland
    Thanks Hannah! I did hear about the show and I think it would be awesome to go, but it would be a good 3 or 4 hour drive for me and I think my husband would be upset if I wasn't around to help with the coop. Im also worried that someone would take advantage of me there since im such a noob and dont know much. Ill come home with four roosters lol!

Do you think there would be people there selling different kinds of chickens from the same farm?

4. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from Ohio. So glad you joined. The only problem with buying older birds is unless you can tell the difference in a pullet and an older hen, you might be buying someones birds that are past prime and aren't laying that well anymore. I just recommend buying the chicks you want from the start. Good luck. [​IMG]

Edited to say: If you do look at someone birds, a pullet will have bright colored legs, eyes and comb. A hen that is already laying, the legs will fade in color, and an old hen will have tired looking eyes.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2011
  5. farmerwomanwannabe

Jun 14, 2011
    Maryland
    ohhhh I didnt even think about that. I guess I just assumed the pullets would be smaller, but I guess they really wouldnt if they were almost laying. Good to know, thanks!!!

Chicks may in fact be the better route for us since our coop isnt yet ready, I just know I probably wouldnt get any eggs until next spring. Im just impatient and want eggs now! [​IMG]

6. silkieluver_07

silkieluver_07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    Quote:Yep, there are many people that raise different breeds from the same farm. I know a couple members ussually have started pullets for sale.

7. Chickencoop1996

Chickencoop1996 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    southern nh
    [​IMG]

8. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama.

9. Barred Babies