Hi From MD!

KLive

Hatching
May 9, 2015
I raised chickens on a family farm in Alaska as a child for selling/trading eggs (80 of them: mostly Rhode Island Reds and Barred Rocks, but also some Bantams and fancy varieties for fun). Now, we have kids and just got 4 chicks as pets (Easter eggers and Gold Stars). They are now about 6 days old and we just adore them. Unlike my childhood where I built a coop with my father and designed and built my own laying boxes (winning first prize at the local fair, lol), we took the easy and expensive way out and purchase our coop and run online (from www.chickencondos.com) - happy to let folks know how that goes.

I spent a good week perusing through this forum and realized even with all my earlier experience with chickens, there is so much I didn't know. For example, one of our chicks had a pasty bottom, and learned on this site that a bit of apple cider vinegar in the water might help in the first week (it did!). I also learned that similar to raising children, there are a lot of opinions on how to raise chickens. It's all good, and I will probably be seeking advice more than I will be giving it for a while. One thing is for sure, I like being part of a site where people clearly love their chickens and want to share and learn together.

All the best.

Hello there and welcome to BYC!

You have come to the right place for all the fun and learning! We are just bursting at the seams with knowledge. I am glad BYC has been of help to you in the past. If you have any further questions you know now where to come to!

So make yourself at home here among other chicken lovers!

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided join our flock. Which part of Alaska did you live in? My family and I have visited Alaska on a number of occasions and love it there. Raising chickens is a wonderful experience for children. My granddaughter (pictured in my avatar) loves our chickens. Our Easter Eggers are her favorites. She loves their colored eggs. Gold Star is one of a number of labels under which some hatcheries market their Red Sex Links, and they are laying machines. You should get loads of large, brown eggs from those girls. :eek:) Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your chicks.

So glad you joined the flock
wee.gif

Thank you! We were in Palmer (right around the corner from the reindeer farm - you should check it out when you go back there. Visit every other year now. Glad to hear about the "egg laying machines" lol! All the best.

You're welcome. I'm quite familiar with Palmer although I haven't visited the Reindeer Farm. There is also a Musk Ox Farm in Palmer.

Thank you! We were in Palmer (right around the corner from the reindeer farm - you should check it out when you go back there. Visit every other year now. Glad to hear about the "egg laying machines" lol! All the best.

Back
Top Bottom