Hi from Memphis Tennessee!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Marynash88, Mar 12, 2013.

1. Marynash88

Marynash88 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2013
    Memphis, TN
    Hey y'all! I am now a new chicken owner as of 6 pm last night. Word got around my local mom group that a family was wanting to rehome their flock of 6hens and a roo for free because they were moving to midtown. I jumped on that offer and came home to my husbands dismay announcing that we were gonna be chicken parents :D he told me he wasn't ready for chickens (sorry Hun, free is not something I am going to pass up!) we picked them up last night and they came with a dog run and a dog house modified to be a coop. Their birds looked very healthy but their coop and run was so nasty. The coop is no more than 4 sq ft and a hen bock took up a lot of that space. They did have a couple of branches strung across the run to be used for roosting though. So we took them home and sent the roo off with my stepdad to his sons farm in progress (we can't have Roos in a residential neighborhood). It was very late and cold but. Got the girls in their new home. My husband and I are already talking about what the new coop design will be because their current coop is unsatisfactory. I wasa awoken this morning to one of the girls clucking happily doing the egg song :D I know there is at least one egg in the nest box but every time I go to check, there's another hen in it. LOL the breeds that I can identify is a Rhode Island Red, a Barred rock and a white leghorn. I haven't had the chance to identify the other 3. They're beautiful though and I can tell this is gonna be a blast.

2. DaisyFields

DaisyFields Out Of The Brooder

Sep 18, 2012
    Branchville, NJ
    Congratulations and welcome to BYC - yup you ARE going to have a blast!! [​IMG]

3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Marynash88, and [​IMG]! Great to have you with us! Sounds like you are an impromptu chicken parent! That's okay - BYC is here to help. Below are a couple links you might find useful!

For that all important coop and run, check out the designs here:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/2/Coop_Designs

For Q & A on coops and run, (and reading old threads for great info) look here:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/9/coop-run-design-construction-maintenance

And for general info on chicken care and maintenance, check out the Learning Center here:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/

1 person likes this.
  4. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

5. Hi from probably about an hour away!!

6. jenniferlaustin

jenniferlaustin Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2013
    Summertown,TN
    I'm in Tennessee too. South of Nashville. Hi! [​IMG][​IMG]

7. Marynash88

Mar 12, 2013
    Memphis, TN

Thankyou for the linkies! Much appreciated! I've actually been a BYC stalker for over a year :D but yes, the actual situation of getting the chickens were very impromptu.

8. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

9. Marynash88

Mar 12, 2013
    Memphis, TN

Oooh! Where exactly? I'm in unincorporated Shelby county smack dab between Bartlett and Raleigh. (north end of Memphis)

10. Marynash88

Mar 12, 2013
    Memphis, TN
    Just sent my daughter out to check on them and she came back with 4 eggs! Guess the move didn't traumatized them much :p

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by