Hi from Michigan!

fancybojangles

In the Brooder
Jan 13, 2019
Paw Paw, MI
I'm currently the owner of 3 female ducks - 2 Khaki Campbells and a Golden 300 (from Metzer).

My husband and I are going to be adding to our menagerie when it warms back up, including a goose!

We've chosen to raise ducks for eggs because I'm not able to eat chicken eggs, and we don't really know anybody who's raised ducks. I've resisted joining so I don't plague the boards with new duck owner paranoia, but I've gotten a lot of very good advice and I'm hoping I can provide some in the future!

We did lose 3 ducks in November to a mink attack. The remaining 3 are doing perfectly fine, but we're interested in any advice you have about predator-proof enclosures. I have a hardware cloth palace in mind, and we're going to be employing a goose for added protection.

Welcome to BYC. I'm glad you've decided to join us. I think you are on the right track with the hardware cloth palace. Safe and secure living quarters are your number one defense against predators. Geese really won't do anything against minks or other predators, but they are fun to raise. I would suggest getting two rather than one, because they are social and like to be with others of their own kind. For specific information on predator proof housing or any other topic, the 'search' button is a great way to find it. I hope you enjoy the website and that it is useful for you and your flock.

Welcome to BYC. I'm glad you've decided to join us. I think you are on the right track with the hardware cloth palace. Safe and secure living quarters are your number one defense against predators. Geese really won't do anything against minks or other predators, but they are fun to raise. I would suggest getting two rather than one, because they are social and like to be with others of their own kind. For specific information on predator proof housing or any other topic, the 'search' button is a great way to find it. I hope you enjoy the website and that it is useful for you and your flock.

Thanks, Jed!

I've seen a great deal of designs I like here... Just another reason I've joined. I thought the ducks had a pretty good set up, especially since we locked them up at night, but I guess I should have been more concerned about that stupid weasel I saw months before we even got the ducklings!

Do you have any advice about getting a pair of geese? I've read a lot of conflicting information, and since we're getting additional ducklings at the same time, had understood they'd imprint on each other.

Weasels are really difficult to keep out, so don't think you've done anything wrong. You have to use 1/2 inch hardware cloth or smaller, and make sure all edges are secure and sealed so no one can get in. If you have dirt floors to your duck house, a skirt of hardware cloth spreading outward will foil digging animals.

As for geese, some hatcheries will sell goslings as pairs, so it is worth searching for that. Having goslings and ducklings raised together means they will get used to each other and probably live in harmony, which might not be case if you buy grown geese. If you do buy full grown, try to find geese that have been raised with ducks. A lot will depend on space-- if there is enough of it, then the birds are much likelier to get along. Make sure you don't wind up with one or two male geese with no females. Sexing is really important, and it is easily done, so make sure any bird you buy has been vent sexed.

byc-mixed.png

hithere.gif
I'm so sorry for your losses. New owner paranoia is pretty normal I think. Don't worry about asking questions, the forum exists so we can all help each other... it's awesome! Glad to have you part of the group!

Hardware cloth is definitely the way to go for predator protection. I know it's recommended to dig a trench and bury the HWC down below, but in my experience, I've seen it rust and fall apart from ground exposure. So I prefer to make an apron instead. That way you can keep tabs on it and replace it a lot easier if it starts to deteriorate.
Predator Proofing

Best wishes with your growing flock!

Back
Top Bottom