Hi from Middle Georgia

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Micbookee, Mar 26, 2017.

1. Micbookee

Micbookee Just Hatched

Mar 26, 2017
    Musella Georgia
    We are VERY new to raising chickens , in fact we are just getting started and found this site on Pinterest. Trying to get ideas on brooder boxeds and coops.

2. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you.

If you navigate to the "coops" tab at the top of the page, you may find some useful ideas there.

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] If you put "brooders," in the search box above, it should come up with several articles.

4. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    Hello Neighbor [​IMG]. I'm likely close to you - south Monroe County. Glad you have joined us.

They type/size of brooder and coop depends on the size of your flock.

I started with 6 baby chicks in a really big plastic tote - they outgrew it in a little over a week, so we had to shuffle to get something quick and larger - those metal feed tanks like you see used as brooders at the feed/seed stores worked well for me.

I built a 5x10 foot all-in-one coop/run and those 6 gals outgrew that once they started to lay, so had to more than double the size.

It's so much easier to start with larger space than you think - and when you add a feeder and water fount, the space shrinks.

Feel free to ask questions, you'll find folks here friendly and helpful.

Good luck with your plans.

5. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

You've already received some good advice (and met a neighbor!) so I'll just say hello and thanks for joining us!

6. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Hello from Kansas and :welcome! Great to have you in our community! Best of luck on your brooder and coop build! :)

7. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under Micbookee [​IMG] Welcome!

As you have already received some good advice, I will just wish you all the best.

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

If you would like to share pictures and stories of your flock when they arrive, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out [​IMG]

8. Micbookee

Micbookee Just Hatched

Mar 26, 2017
    Musella Georgia
    Subflower We are in Crawford county, so yes we are very close! Thanks for the info! quote name="sunflour" url="/t/1161171/hi-from-middle-georgia#post_18251032"]Hello Neighbor :welcome .  I'm likely close to you - south Monroe County.  Glad you have joined us.

They type/size of brooder and coop depends on the size of your flock.

I started with 6 baby chicks in a really big plastic tote - they outgrew it in a little over a week, so we had to shuffle to get something quick and larger - those metal feed tanks like you see used as brooders at the feed/seed stores worked well for me.

I built a 5x10 foot all-in-one coop/run and those 6 gals outgrew that once they started to lay, so had to more than double the size.

It's so much easier to start with larger space than you think - and when you add a feeder and water fount, the space shrinks.

Feel free to ask questions, you'll find folks here friendly and helpful.

Good luck with your plans.
    [/quote]

Last edited: Mar 27, 2017
  9. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    I didn't notice the location Musella, or would have realized how close you are [​IMG]

10. missy1971

missy1971 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2016
    Harris County Georgia
    [​IMG]
    Welcome to this great group of people...Im about 75 miles west of you near Hamilton GA

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by