Hi from MN

shortkaike

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 15, 2011
Hello all. I'm new to chicken raising and forum. Any advise for raising chickens in chilly and hot MN climate would be great:weee

Hi, and welcome from Colorado! I don't think our climates are too dissimilar, although it is a lot dryer out here. My advice would be to make sure you select cold tolerant breeds. Good luck!

Thanks for the tip. I know what you mean about drier there. I am originaly from the Black Hills of SD and the humidity here is killing me. I just want to make sure that the cold tolerant chickens can also survive the 92 with 98% humidity. Right now I have Wyndettes and EE ( I think ) they were sold as americauna.

frow.gif
&
welcome-byc.gif
from Alabama. Glad you joined us. If they came from a feed store or a hatchery, then you're right they're EEs. We have 2 EEs & they did great through the winter, although our temps are very mild. We've had one of the hottest summers that I can remember in a long time. It's been anywhere from 93-104 here & with the humidity it feels so much hotter. The EEs, in fact, all of our breeds, have fared better than I have in this heat. We make sure to provide them with shade, fresh water, chilled fruits, frozen jugs of water, etc to help with it.
Lots of good luck
thumbsup.gif

Hello! I'm from MN also. Isn't this weather miserable? Our coop is fully insulated for the winters. We also are putting a heat lamp in the coop during the coldest temps and to keep the waterer from freezing. When it's hot(high temps) with the humidity, I bring my girls inside. I have a set up for them in the basement. The dewpoint is making it feel like a jungle out there.

Have fun with your chicks.
smile.png

Hello and welcome from another Minnesotan!
We freeze ice cream pails about 3/4 of the way full and set them in the run and shade areas for the chickens to lay next to (or stand on as they choose to do) and we have a large tray about 2' x 3' with a 1" wall that we let the hose drip into for the chickens to walk in to cool off if they choose, we also have EE's and they seem to do pretty good with the heat so far, they are pretty good at finding nice shady spots to hide out in. We are also new to chickens since this spring, so we haven't had to deal with winter yet, but we plan on insulating the coop and put in heat lamps to warm the coop and keep the water from freezing.
Good luck! keep cool! it is miserable today
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom