1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hi From Monterey, California

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Peaky, Mar 31, 2017.

1. Peaky

Peaky Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2017
    I've just gotten into chickens again after a number of years of not having them. We moved into a home that has two very secure coops, but no area for the chickens during the day to be outside. We have just completed a very large run for both coops and I'm so excited. I have one pair of Isabel cockoo orgingons that are about 7 months old. I also have a brooder so got six chics..... 4 buff orgingtons and 2 well summer. My friend gave me 2 golden laced wyandotte .....so I'm on my way. I can't believe how much time I can spend with them each day giving them treats, cleaning out their coops, making an area for them to dust their feathers. this is a blast! Hope to learn more as i go through this experience. I love this website and feel so fortunate to have found it
    I do have one question: I have 7 eggs in an incubator. Unfortunately last night the electricity went out for 2 hours and the bator temp went down to 77 degrees. Should I start over with a new batch of eggs? I really don't understand candling... I tried that 2 nights ago and my eggs are so dark brown i couldn't see much. or maybe I 'm not doing it correctly. So....I think I'm eggdicted!!!!

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Hello, and welcome to BYC - and welcome back to the chicken obsession!
    I wouldn't abandon this hatch - while the drop in temperature is not optimal, it is still entirely possible to have a successful hatch. What day of incubation are you on? What are you using to candle the eggs and where are you doing the candling? I find it best to go into a completely dark room (in my old home it was a bathroom as it had no window, a closet is another likely place to get complete dark) and use a very bright, small LED flashlight. The small size of the lens area of the light makes it easier to concentrate the light, which is key in getting a good penetration into the egg -- I simply use my hand wrapped around the top of the flashlight with the opening at the top of my hand where I set the egg so that the light is directed right up into the egg.

3. Peaky

Peaky Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2017
    thanks so much for your response. I was in the bathroom late at night when candling. It was the 10th day. I watched a you tube on candling and though I didn't see in my eggs the same thing i saw on the you tube I did see the air space. I will continue until day 21 and see what happens. I can always start again if these don't hatch.

4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC.I agree with OGM. I've had power losses for 8 hours and more and still had success hatching.

Good luck
    CT

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Sending good hatching vibes your way [​IMG][​IMG]

6. BlueBaby

BlueBaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Hello, and welcome to BYC!

7. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under Peaky [​IMG] Welcome and Good Luck!

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

If you would like to share pictures and stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out [​IMG]

8. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Peaky, and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined our community! Best wishes and good luck with your hatch! [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Good luck with your hatch, keep us posted!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by