Hi from NC

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by AutumnHens, Jun 12, 2016.

1. AutumnHens

AutumnHens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2013
    Coastal NC
    Hi All,

I'm so excited, we ordered our chickens and they'll be arriving some time this coming week. We ordered six from Meyers, including a Deleware, a Wellsummer, a black Australorp, a GL Wyanndotte, and two pullets from the rare breed mix. That way I could have a bit of a surprise as well. Hoping to end up with six distinctive looking girls so that my kids and my niece and nephews can each "have" a bird.

We already have the coop set up and the brooder ready to go. These ladies are going to be pets/breakfast assistants.

2. LaurelTree

LaurelTree Out Of The Brooder

Jun 6, 2016
    Central Florida
    Welcome to BYC! It sounds like you have a nice mix there. I have a small flock of Black Australorps and I really love them. Delawares and Wyanndottes are both gorgeous breeds, and I've been told the Delawares are very sweet and docile. Good luck with your new babies!

3. AutumnHens

AutumnHens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2013
    Coastal NC
    I hope so, we want fairly docile birds so that our youngest can participate. We're starting out small and giving it a year to see how it all works out before attempting to expand.

4. LaurelTree

LaurelTree Out Of The Brooder

Jun 6, 2016
    Central Florida
    The two sweetest birds I've personally come across would be the Barred Plymouth Rock and the Buff Orpington. I'd have to say the Buffy would be the sweetest of the two. We had gotten one as a chick for my little sister years ago when she was about five or six. The hen was named Baby and would just let my sister go up and grab her. Maybe if these others don't work with your youngest, you could try one of these.

5. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Congrats on the soon to be new chicks! Make sure to notify the Post Office that they are coming so you can either be there or they can all you when they come in. When you get them home, as you put them into the brooder, be SURE to dip everybody's beaks in the water and set them down in front of the waterer. Withhold feed for 15 to 20 mins until you know all of them have drank enough water. This will help prevent pasty butt, which can kill them. Dehydration is the leading cause along with stress. So if they drink well before eating, they will do much better.

Have you stopped by our learning center yet? Lots of good articles on all the aspect of keeping poultry, including lots of raising chick articles. Here is the link to a good raising baby chicks along with the link to our learning center...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/raising-your-baby-chicks

https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

Enjoy all those soon to be new babies! If you have any questions about them later on down the road, feel free to ask.

Welcome to our flock! :)

6. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Greetings and welcome to our community. You've made a good choice in getting a variety of breeds as you will soon be able to work out what breed suits you best before you decide to expand your flock.

All the best
    CT

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Thanks for joining the Backyard chickens flock.

8. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined the flock! You've picked some very nice breeds. Best of luck with your new venture.

9. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG] glad you decided to join us.

Congrats on getting your own flock. I am certain this will be a wonderful experience and wish you well in the new adventure.

10. applefalls

applefalls Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Cockeysville, MD
    Congratulations! Many on this forum can relate to your excitement, so you've picked the right place to hang out while you wait for your flock.
    Please remember to talk honestly with your children about what to expect; not all chicks make it, and I've learned the hard way not to assign chicks to my children too early. Now we know when we get a shipment of chicks that we can have potential names picked out, and the children pick one or two that might be 'theirs'--then we anxiously wait until the chicks mature before claiming which chick belongs to which child.
    Best of luck to you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by