Hi from NC

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by foxvalleyfarm, Feb 25, 2014.

1. foxvalleyfarm

foxvalleyfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2014
    North Carolina
    Hey all, so I'm pretty new here. I posted yesterday, but have been browsing this thread for about 2 months. I just got my chicks, but my grandparents had chickens while I was growing up. As for what I have I got 25 of Murray Hatchery's rainbow layers(I have no idea what breeds I have, but once I get pics I will post them), but I'm down to just 14. 3 died in trans, 2 died the next day, 1 died 3 days later, then 5 vanished when my husband put them outside for a bit. They are 3 weeks old. I also got 15 more rainbow layers, 10 cronish x, 2 buff laced polish roos, 1 hen of the same, and 1 mystery feather footed baby(I think its a buff brahma). This are just over 1 week old, and I'm down to 25 from the starting number of 29. The cat got 1 today, 2 got trampled within the first few days, 1 got cold, and 1 died for no reason. I have them all together and it seems to work really well. But I'm worried that instead of 25 rainbow pullets like I should have in total I actually have like 12 pullets and 13 roos. Its upsetting to say the least. But anyways I live in south central NC on about an acre. I have 2 horses, a dog, and a cat also. I'm slowly working on my coop and pen. And I would love to add a silkie and a frizzle to my flock, but have no idea where to look. Id like to get one of each close to the age of the rest.

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Sorry about the chicks you have lost, hope the rest do fine. Try posting in the NC state thread, maybe there is someone in your area that has started pullets https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/91762/north-carolina you could also do a search and try some of the big silkie threads for breeders that don't see the state thread ie, https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/297632/silkie-thread Keeping fingers crosses you have lots of girls in the chicks you already have, post pics on the What Breed Or Gender Is This forum when they get a little older.

3. foxvalleyfarm

Feb 23, 2014
    North Carolina
    Thank you both. And thanks for the advice. I'll head over there in a bit. I forgot to mention but I'm trying FF, but I think I put too much ACV in the bucket it smells very strongly of vinegar. And I can only get the older all white ones to eat it. Some of the others will eat off their beaks but not from the feeder. Any tips?

4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

So sorry about the loss of all your babies.

You need to do some reading about fermented feeds. Here is a great thread with LOTS of knowledge on how to properly ferment feed. And if you have any questions, Beekissed knows pretty much everything there is to know about fermenting feed...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/645057/fermented-feeds-anyone-using-them

Post any questions you have here and you will get the answers you need.

Great to have you aboard and enjoy BYC!

5. foxvalleyfarm

Feb 23, 2014
    North Carolina
    I read almost everything about FF I could before I joined, I just accidently put too much ACV in it, but they eat it, so t can't be too bad.

6. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

[​IMG]

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

8. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC - good luck at getting your losses resolved.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by