Hi from Nevada

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by kschicks2013, Mar 9, 2013.

1. kschicks2013

kschicks2013 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2012
    Fernley, Nevada
    Hi Everyone,

I'm just starting with chickens. I live in Northern Nevada outside Reno. Anyone else live around this area and have chickens? The Nevada thread doesn't have any new posts so I would like to find people in Northern Nevada.

I have a couple of acres and I am going to keep my chickens in a large side area of my property. It doesn't have any grass or anything but dirt. Is it okay to keep the coop and run on dirt? or should I plant some grass for them knowing that they will scratch and eat it up. I was thinking getting some sod squares and replace it once they destroy it. Any suggestions, recommendations?

Thanks so much....

2. GoldenSparrow

GoldenSparrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    gosh! so want to go to Nevada!

Welcome to BYC!!! :)

3. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

4. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, KSchicks2013, and [​IMG]! Great to have you aboard! Yes, the coop and run can be on dirt - a lot of folks put sand in the run. They will eat or otherwise tromp the grass and it won't be around long. If you want to provide them greenery, type the word 'fodder' into the BYC search bar. Good luck to you and have fun!!

5. DDNONIN2016

DDNONIN2016 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2012
    SW Ohio
    Hello and welcome from Ohio....so glad you joined BYC

Good luck with your coop and run

6. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] You are welcome to start a new Nevada thread or bump up the old one and see what happens. For the run... it could be expensive buying sod squares for the chickens to destroy! And they will be fine on dirt, really. Mine lot destroyed all the vegetation in their run within weeks and they were fine on dirt with supplemented greens daily. Why don't you rather plant something outside the run that you can cut for them? For example spinach (chard). You can break leaves off daily and it will continue growing and make more leaves and my chickens go crazy for it. Or a patch of alfalfa, cabbages... Lots of greens you can grow for them and they will love you for it.

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

8. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC!! [​IMG] Glad you joined us!! [​IMG]

9. LoveChickens123

LoveChickens123 Chillin' With My Peeps

hi and [​IMG] hope you like it