Hi from new member and new to owning chickens.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Jody, Nov 8, 2009.

1. Jody

Jody Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2009
    Epping, NH
    Hi.

I found your forum while searching around for information on caring for chickens. I'll be reading alot here and I have many questions too

I've been wanting to get some chickens since the beginning of summer, but have always been procrastinating on building a coop out of the old shed.. So today, a spur of the moment decision, I found some chickens locally and brought them home.

Tomorrow I shall finish the coop and build nesting boxes.

I'm not sure what kind two of them are.. I know one is barred rock, and the white I believe is leghorn from what I seen using google.. and perhaps the black may be Australorp

I hope they don't freeze tonight as I bought them unprepared til tomorrow when I can get bedding and build nesting boxes.. they're on my porch which is covered with plastic., it's semi closed.. one side is screen and I have plastic sheet stapled up. Will they freeze and die?

[​IMG]

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

[​IMG]

Congrats on getting chickens.

How cold will it get where you are? Chickens are pretty hardy if you can keep them dry and out of drafts.

Imp

3. hen-thusiast

hen-thusiast Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    Utah
    [​IMG] from UT! Make sure the porch is predator proof! Good luck on the new additions. [​IMG]

4. Jody

Nov 8, 2009
    Epping, NH
    I'm in New Hampshire.. think it'll be around 25 degrees tonight

5. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

25 should be OK if they are not in a breeze. Hen-thusiast is right to be wary of predators. Wouldn't want to wake up to a nasty surprise.

Imp

6. Jody

Nov 8, 2009
    Epping, NH
    No breeze really as the screen has plastic sheet stapled up, but it is drafty

7. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    Quote:You are right about the Barred Rock and Leghorn but the one that you said is an Austrolorp is actually a Black Sex Link.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2009
  8. Catstar68

Catstar68 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2009
    Franklinton, NC
    [​IMG]

9. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Hello and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

As far as drafts and coops go, your chickens will have a hard time making it through the winter in a drafty coop. Things will go much smoother if you can secure their living conditions a bit more. [​IMG]

10. PeeperKeeper

PeeperKeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] Your pic looks like some of my girls! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by