Hi from New Zealand :0)

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by brewsters mum, Dec 10, 2013.

1. brewsters mum

brewsters mum New Egg

Dec 10, 2013
    All my life I have been scared of chickens but one day 5 yrs ago Brewster the Rooster wandered into my life. Being a right softie I couldn't let him go hungry so I fed him and he has lived with my horses ever since. I still can not get a hand on him but he is happy in my company and he will eat out of my hand. Curiosity has led me here. I even went to a poultry show to see if I could figure out what breed he is!! He had a friend turn up but he died in the winter. Brewster is my one & only as I am still not comfy round chickens but would like to learn more - cheers M[​IMG]

2. petrel

petrel Chats with Chickens

Hello and welcome to BYC. I'm no breed expert, so I can't help you there. However, the look on his face seems to say: "How about some lady friends mate?!"

3. brewsters mum

brewsters mum New Egg

Dec 10, 2013
    Hello and thank you, i am pleased to be here! I suppose the lady friends you speak of aren't the wild duck variety he commonly 'hangs out' with?? LOL May be one day I might start 'a family'

4. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    [​IMG]

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    It's hard to tell from the photo but, what color is the comb on top of his head? It looks very dark in the picture. I wondering if he had frostbite. I think he is some kind of game bird mix.

I think you just need to be around baby chicks- they wouldn't be overwhelming. By the time they were adults you would probably be very comfortable around them.

6. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
  7. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! X2 on what drumstick diva said, getting baby chicks might be a way to start, you could also look into getting a small incubator and hatching your own. You could post more pictures of Brewster on the What Breed Or Gender Is This forum https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/15/what-breed-or-gender-is-this

8. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC. I too vote girls for Brewster.

9. Fierlin1182

Fierlin1182 powered-flight

Aug 26, 2011
    Hi and :welcome

Good suggestions here, good luck with Brewster, he looks quite handsome. :p We started with chicks as well - they're not very daunting, and before you know it they've grown up but one still thinks of them as those cute fluffy chicks from all those months ago.

Enjoy the site! :D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by