Hi from New Zealand & Thank You everyone for this awesome community

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by healthyasdotme, Aug 21, 2011.

1. healthyasdotme

healthyasdotme Out Of The Brooder

Hi From New Zealand
    [​IMG] So happy to have my girls and boys and learning from them (they had ME trained in no time lol). They are so giving and have quite different personalities which are a joy not to mention the eggs [​IMG] Absolutely spoilt rotten [​IMG]
    I started with Brown Shavers as my first time with chooks and they would follow me around everywhere, and especially loved me digging holes for the roses - right beside me scratching the newly dug out soil while I was putting in the compost and horse poo for the roses to plant [​IMG] Real cute.
    The Short Haired German Pointer adopted them, 'his girls', and spends all day herding them. Lovely to watch. They aren't even scared of him and push the boundries all the time, nice to see the two way communication in process.
    Then I increased the flock (well they looked SOOOOO cute on the auction site pictures [​IMG] and was lucky enough to get them at a few weeks old so now have 8 Orphington Wyndote cross hens and 3 roosters, 2 white wyndotte cross hens, 9 Brown Shavers, 1 Silver Wyndotte, and those babies are now clucky and hatching their own babies - so excited - but into new terratory again so heaps of learning.
    Now how is this for spoilt - the hens get 'nesting box service'! Yes haha, they get their dinner feed bought to them! [​IMG] At first they were quite stressed but now are happy to get it and are waiting with their eyes looking [​IMG]

For the chooks, we have a large run (which they are hardly ever in free terrorising the gardens, paddocks, horses, dogs and horse feed) with three chook houses in it and one outside it that we have just bought.
    Our family is 3 dogs - Short Haired German Pointer, Spoodle and Long Haired Bearded Collie; 6 in work race horses; 2 younger horses not yet read to work; 2 broad mares and 1 boy who is waiting to teach us to ride; a whole heap of dairy cows, couple of bulls; 2 children at home; 2 children out of town with 4.5 grandchildren! Aside from owner/trainer race horses and dairying (as if that isn't enough [​IMG] we also have educated people on their health world wide for 17 years and are just in the process of starting up a world wide mail order health food shop with unique products which have instant results which is affliliate based and franchisable for local towns in many countries [​IMG] With all of that, this forum is such a joy and real time out reading and learning about my boys and girls which are my joy time each day, so thank you everyone [​IMG] for your contributions which have made this such a treasure trove [​IMG] and to the organisers for their vision and loads of time to bring this to us all [​IMG]

Live Long and Prosper, Louise

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC, glad you joined us:thumbsup
    Those chickens of got you sorted, by the sounds of it! Sounds absolutely wonderful. If you have any questions regarding them or just want to chat we're here. Loads of lovely, friendly, helpful chicken people:weee

3. Muggsmagee

Muggsmagee Menagerie Mama

Dec 15, 2009
    Central NY
    [​IMG] Welcome from NY!!! I have been trying to convince the DH to move to NZ for over a year now. I'm hoping he'll cave someday! I have a busload of friends that want to come with me! [​IMG]

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

5. Muggsmagee

Muggsmagee Menagerie Mama

Dec 15, 2009
    Central NY
    I meant to ask...what is a Brown Shaver? (Yes, I am too lazy to google at the moment!)

6. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Louisiana!!

7. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG] [​IMG] from Washington State glad you joined us [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

9. chi-rn

chi-rn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    You sound like the pefect chicken-mom!
    [​IMG]

10. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    [​IMG] from Kansas, healthyasdotme! Happy you joined the forum! [​IMG] That's an awesome sounding set up you have there! [​IMG] Enjoy!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by