Hi from New -Zealand

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Sue17, Feb 3, 2013.

1. Sue17

Sue17 New Egg

Feb 3, 2013
    Hi, We have kept chickens for the nearly two years now. We recently have had the experience of raising chicks, which our family has enjoyed. One little one however, is a challenge and we are all rather attached to it now, as we spend so much time with it. I am hoping to get some advice on how to proceed with her care and to gain more knowledge from other chicken lovers about all aspects of chicken care.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2013
  2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] What is wrong with your little one?

3. San

San Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi and welcome, hope your litlle one is feeling well soon, wondering what's wrong with it?

4. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
  5. Sue17

Sue17 New Egg

Feb 3, 2013
    Hi,
    I am not exactly sure what is wrong with it and have posted the full story on the emergencies/diseases page...... The chicken is now almost 6 wks old is very small, compared to the others and very unsteady on its feet, eats slowly, then nods off and hasn't been thriving. Its feet/legs seem weak and it spends a lot of time sitting. Everyday it comes in the house for extra feeding and it seems to be getting stronger. I am doing little leg exercises with it (worth a try) It doesn't resist and will lay on its side and sleep in my hand - which I realize is not normal behavior and all of it is concerning.
    Tonight my partner noted, how much better it was even since yesterday, as it walked around for most of the time I had it in the feeding box, locating food. Yesterday it mostly sat. I have considered having it put down, as I'm not sure how bright its future will be, however it is a determined wee thing and whilst its will is strong I/we will keep doing what we are doing. Any advice/ ideas are welcomed.

6. DDNONIN2016

DDNONIN2016 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2012
    SW Ohio
    Hello and welcome from Ohio......so glad you joined BYC. Hope you find some answers for your little one

7. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC. So very glad that you have joined with us.

8. Dnetschke

Dnetschke Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2012
    Berthoud, CO
    [​IMG]

9. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

10. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012