Hi from New Zealand

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by nzange, Feb 7, 2013.

1. nzange

nzange Out Of The Brooder

Kia ora!

We're just beginning our journey into being chicken obsessed. We've built a run according to what I understand are our local rules, and have re-purposed an old solid dog kennel as the run. We will get the roosts done soon, but they chickens are too small to use a roosting bar yet.

[​IMG]

Local regulations stipulate that they "should" be on a concrete pad, which is what the coop is sitting on. We already had the concrete pad from an old shed so used that spot, though it might not have been the most ideal. It does fit the other criteria, like 10 metres from a dwelling. The trees and fence shelter them well from the southerlies.

[​IMG]

We have four chooks that came "home" yesterday and they are of varying cross-breeds, and about 12 weeks old. There is one I'm a little suspect about but we'll keep an eye on "her" and hope that she is actually a "her". We need to also sort out some shade cloth for them as it's a bit hot in the afternoon on a sunny day in this spot.

It's nice to be here among other chook lovers. This forum came in very helpful during our planning stages and I would recommend to any one new to chickens.

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
  3. nzange

nzange Out Of The Brooder

Thanks. I've just this evening sent a couple of photos to the supplier I've bought the feeders off, and they're 98% sure it is a female, so I'm hopeful.

I'm keen to figure out some of the cross-breeds, so as they develop I'll post some photos. I think the two white ones are leghorn crosses, so hopefully good layers. I'm wondering if the black & white one is part sussex.

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC. Good luck with your new flock.

5. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

6. SilkiesForEver

SilkiesForEver Overrun With Chickens

Mar 24, 2012
    Sacramento, CA
    Welcome to BYC! That is a lovely coop, and run! [​IMG]

7. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings, nzange, and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined us! Nice looking coop and birds! Best of luck to you!!

8. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC!!!
    [​IMG]
    Glad you joined us!!

9. Carcajou

Carcajou Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2012
    Delhi, New York
    [​IMG]. Nice coop and run.

10. 1muttsfan