Hi from North Carolina

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Melissachick, Feb 5, 2014.

1. Melissachick

Melissachick New Egg

Feb 5, 2014
    I'm new to all this chickenyness and I love my birds. I got one each of Plymouth Barred Rock, Rhode Island Red, Buff Orpington, Jersey Giant and an Americauna. They were hatched a week apart 9/9/13 ( Jersey giant, barred rock and Orpington) and 9/16/13 RIR and Americauna). The Jersey Giant laid her first egg on Sunday 2/2/14. We are VERY excited. By Tuesday, she appeared to be giving everyone a speech about what to do etc....she marched back in forth in front of everyone else while they sat on their roost. My question is this; I am feeding them an organic pullet mix. I bought some organic layer mix. Jersey girl is the only one laying, do I switch to layer? Keep on with the pullet? Mix the two? I have probably 20lbs of pullet feed left and I'd like to use it BUT I want to do what's best for my girls. Thanks in advance for your help!

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Congratulations on your first egg! How eggciting! I would just mix the two feeds since they are old enough you could feed them all Layer if you want. The main difference in the two feeds is just the amount of calcium in Layer.

1 person likes this.
  3. Melissachick

Melissachick New Egg

Feb 5, 2014
    Thanks!

4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

Congrats on that first egg!! How EGG-citing! That first egg is so exciting, but I find that it never gets old finding those golden treasures in the boxes!

Kelsie X2. Mix the two feeds for now. This way there is a bit more calcium for the layer and since the others should be laying soon, it won't be too high in calcium for them either.

Good luck with your babies and enjoy BYC!

1 person likes this.
  5. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Oh and make sure to offer oyster shell on the side for those that need more calcium than is in the feed. :)

1 person likes this.
  6. x2 On TwoCrows answer, I always have a small crock of Oyster shell out for my chickens they eat it as they need it.

Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

7. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

8. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

[​IMG]

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture