Hi from North Idaho

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by doreenmcd, Jan 15, 2011.

1. doreenmcd

doreenmcd New Egg

Jan 15, 2011
    I've had chickens now for six years. Started out with 10 Cochin Banty chicks from a friend and wouldn't you know I'd end up with 7 roosters! The 3 hens spent their first winter and spring in our greenhouse, what a mess they made until we got the coop built. I added 20 store bought pullets, rhode island reds, buff orphingtons, black s_x links and barred rocks that spring. Three more roosters! I kept Fred, the most beautiful, gentle barred rock and gave away a buff to a cousin and we had chicken in the freezer. We have 30 acres and they free range so unfortunately I lost Fred last March to a raccoon, he'd escaped by his tail feathers from a coyote a couple months before that. Lost 2 buffs and a banty before we got the raccoon and then were beset by a weasel in the coop. Down to 7 hens then so bought 5 more barred rock and 5 silver wyandotte hens. Cousin gave me 2 half wyandotte half cochin roosters, gave one to another cousin and wouldn't you know, 2 more pullets turned out to be roosters! I'm going to keep Oscar,the wyandotte, he's very handsome. Anyway, at the moment I've got 2 roosters and 13 hens.

I also have 4 horses, ages 29, 28, and 27 and a 3 year old gelding in training. Seven goats and a llama and 2 farm (spoiled house) cats. We have varying amounts of wild turkeys wander through, regularly see a buck, 2 does and a yearling in the yard. We've had a moose and her calves frequent our field pond every summer for the last 3 years much to my horses dismay. We've seen bear, cougar and elk in the field.

We're retired but doing chores keep us busy.

2. Desert Rooster

Desert Rooster El Gallo Del Desierto

Sep 4, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca
    Hello [​IMG] from Hesperia, Ca and [​IMG]

3. Kansaseq

Kansaseq Prairie Wolf Farm Asylum

Feb 12, 2009
    NE Kansas
    Welcome from Kansas! You live in a gorgeous area (best friend lives in Sandpoint) and I'm so jealous, except for the snow. Hope you like it here at BYC.

4. Wild Trapper

Wild Trapper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2011
    Ohio
    [​IMG] from Ohio

5. ThePigeonKid

ThePigeonKid Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Ohio - Chickens 3yrs
    [​IMG]

6. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens