Hi from northern Indiana!!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Picturebug, Mar 11, 2015.

1. Picturebug

Picturebug New Egg

Mar 11, 2015
    Just wanted to say Hi!! I'm excited to be able to get info and learn on here! I grew up raising cows,hogs and horses but we never had chickens. Now that I have my own family I'm excit to start with some chickens to teach my girls!! We are getting our first chicks by this weekend and we are all super excited!! (even our 2 year old!!!!). We have done a lot of reading on breads but wanted to see what you all have to say on a good starter breed?? Hoping something friendlier so the kids can help with them daily! Also I'm a baker and am super excited to have my own eggs. Which would you say are good producers and I'm looking for early producers?
    Thanks so much!

2. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!

3. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Stuck back in the 40s Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    Hello [​IMG]and Welcome to BYC![​IMG]
    Glad to have you join! Feel free to make yourself at home! Check out the learning center for helpful advice.

4. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]I'm glad you joined us.

The breed that I would recommend is the Wyandotte. Mine have been good egg layers, very hardy (through heat and cold), and have been the most docile, sweet, personable, and inquisitive of my birds.

5. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! I started out with red sex links as my first chickens and found them to be good egg layers and friendly birds. Excellent gardeners too when they were out free ranging. Here is a link for the breed section for more ideas on differing breeds https://www.backyardchickens.com/products/category/chicken-breeds

Wishing you the very best of luck with your new chicken adventure I'm sure you and your family will really enjoy it. Enjoy BYC and all the chicken chat :frow

6. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided join to our flock. I would recommend Black Sex Links (Black Stars), which are hardy and friendly, egg laying machines. I've raised them for years (along with dozens of other breeds and hybrids), and they have been my best layers, consistently churning out more than 300 eggs per hen per year. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Whatever breed or hybrid you decide to get, good luck with your flock.

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

8. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by