Hi From Northern Va

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Frizzy Chicks, Mar 28, 2011.

1. Frizzy Chicks

Frizzy Chicks Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2011
    Northern Virginia
    We live in Northern Virginia and we recently found this site when doing research on chickens. First of all, we love this site, second we are loving this forum. [​IMG] We recently decided that this year with the garden we would have some chickens to help with bug clean up and would be nice to have some fresh farm eggs. Also our 3 kids (8 - 6- 2) would learn a little more of where theyre food comes from as well as responsibility. This all started over a garden. When we made a decision to do a garden again this year it led to a magazine from Mother earth news, which led to this site, which led to the purchase of some chickens, which got my hubby into farm mode and he went and got 3 ducks today. [​IMG] That is about how fast I feel this has all happened. [​IMG] So I checked our ordinances and the only thing it says is they cannot run loose, so zoning works out. We have a fenced in back yard with a smaller section fenced as well. We have our garden layed out and are just waiting on the warmth to come back to till and place our seedlings in the ground. We have our chicken hutch and I plan on doing the drop litter method. We went to a farm and got our chicks, which were only suppossed to be 4 which turned out to be 11 and since I told her I would take them all to hold them I felt obligated to buy the rest. Im glad I did because she told me once I got there that she had no idea what they are, what they are going to lay, and how old they are. I posted some picks of them on my page provided by this site.

I am shocked at the amount of information here and the helpfullness of the people on this site. I thank you all in advance for your help with this undertaking my husband and I got ourselves into. [​IMG]

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC. Count on about half of them being roosters.

3. ghillie

ghillie Hen Pecked

Nov 13, 2008
    Colorado Springs, Co
    [​IMG]

4. dadsdeercamp

dadsdeercamp Say goodnight gracie

Sep 24, 2010
    Mora MN.
    hi hello & [​IMG] from minnesota

5. OregonChickenGal

OregonChickenGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    Central Oregon
    Welcome to BYC!

6. Desert Rooster

Desert Rooster El Gallo Del Desierto

Sep 4, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca
    Hello [​IMG] from Hesperia, Ca and [​IMG]

7. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from Ohio. So glad you joined. You've come to the right place. [​IMG]

8. <3ChickenForever

<3ChickenForever Fire Is Catching

Feb 20, 2011
    WI
    [​IMG] !!! [​IMG]

9. MSDeb

MSDeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Welcome to BYC, glad you decided to join us.

10. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    [​IMG] from Augusta County, VA!!

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by