Hi from Nova Scotia - problem with a bum pecker

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Nova Scotia, Aug 7, 2014.

1. Nova Scotia

Nova Scotia Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2014
    Nova Scotia
    Hello everyone! We are new to chicken raising. 19 RIR in total and they are 7 weeks old August 11th (2014). Hope to see a rooster in the mix soon. We absolutely love our hens although we are not without a "situation". We have a bum pecker - Susie Q. We have separated "Baby Girl" who was hurt, and removed the bum pecker Susie Q. Little Baby Girl has become quite tame and went back in the flock without a problem. Approximately a week later we put the Susie Q (bum pecker) back in with the rest of the flock. All was going well for 5 days. Then, Monday morning my husband opened the pen and "Baby Girl" came frantically running to him. She was terribly hurt again. She was quickly taken away to heal. Immediately back to the flock to find the pecking chicken. It was the same one-Susie Q. This time she was pecking many others, all over. Whoever and where ever she could peck. 3 hens cornered her all at once but to no avail, she just ran off and pecked others. She seems so very hateful, attacking at every opportunity, even more so than before. So here we are again. The flock is completely different with out the Susie Q, calmer, happier chickens. She disturbs the entire flock. It is heart breaking. We don't know what to do with her. Yes, there are options we know that, but we would like to correct her behaviour. We are at a loss. Have read all the info on this site and others. Is it possible she is just "a bad egg", so to speak, and needs to be permanently removed? It is worth mentioning; when Susie Q. is away from the flock she herself is a different bird. Susie Q loves human attention and is very well behaved. Any help and suggestions is appreciated. Thank you, Darlene and Garry

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Not sure if you have seen the article in the Learning Center on Bully chickens. https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/bullying-behavior-in-chickens Have you tried separating Susie Q from the flock for a couple of weeks to see if that knocks her down the pecking order. Pinless Peepers are also something to consider, they often work really well for this type of thing. As you mentioned, it is probably simplest to just remove Susie Q permanently if she is causing that much trouble.

3. Nova Scotia

Aug 7, 2014
    Nova Scotia
    Thanks so much for your reply Kelsie. Well that devil Susie Q..my hubby just let her out on my kitchen floor and she ran into the office and started pecking on me. She is going back in her box NOW. :)
    This is the second time we have removed her. She has only been separated for a couple of days this time.
    That is what we thought happened when we took her away from the flock-knocked down in the pecking order. She was so well behaved for the first 5 days she was back after isolation, it just didn't last. My hubby says her eyes were hateful when she was attacking others.
    Kelsie, what is Pinless Peepers? As a newby I don't have a clue?
    Darlene

4. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
  5. Nova Scotia

Aug 7, 2014
    Nova Scotia
    Kelsie, you have given me HOPE. I just read the other link..bullying...don't know how I missed that one. Very helpful, I will try these suggestions.
    Susie Q is going to stay in isolation from the flock for at the very least two weeks, then we will see what she does. Hopefully a changed girl.

Thanks again, Darlene

6. Nova Scotia

Aug 7, 2014
    Nova Scotia
    I am going to call my local feed store to see if they carry pinless peepers. TKS!

7. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Kelsie has really helped you out.

8. BayBay Peepers

BayBay Peepers Overrun With Chickens

Apr 5, 2013
    Wisconsin
    Welcome to BYC![​IMG]

9. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC!

Here is what they look like on my hen....
    [​IMG]
    This hen used to be brutal! Not only to the hens but she bit me something awful!!! LOL She has worn these on and off for several years. She is 3 1/2 years old now and hasn't needed them this year. Yet. She has mellowed with age. But they do stop the aggression. I had to order mine on line as my feed store did not carry them.

Good luck!

10. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC, Darlene! Glad you decided to join our flock. Sorry you are having trouble with an aggressive hen. If you can't get them locally, you can always order pinless peepers from a hatchery (see http://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/pinless_peepers.html). Please feel free to ask any other questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your hen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by