1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hi from NY chicken addict

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Stock Family, Nov 27, 2013.

1. Stock Family

Stock Family Just Hatched

Sep 11, 2013
    Monsey Ny
    Got 3 free chickens because the kids talked me into it. We landed up with 10 more and duck and loving it. And not to mention fresh breakfast...[​IMG]

I also have a problem... my broody hen moved into by bed and wont budge. 6 weeks and counting. Does this ever end?

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome to BYC! I would just try to break her, if you aren't going to put fertile eggs under her. As you are finding out, some of them will sit a whole whole lot longer than three weeks if no chicks hatch, they don't quit sitting just because three weeks is up.
    I like using wire cages to break broodys. I just use wire dog crates sitting on pieces of 2x4, with wire spacing that is about 1 x4" on the bottom and put perches in there and small food and water dishes hanging from the side so they can't sit in them. They don't like to stand on the wire so sit on the perches most of the time, usually they give up in a couple of days, but I leave them in there a week. I like to put the cage in a high traffic area like the barn isle or middle of the coop in bright light. I have never done it, but some people have talked about putting a small fan under them to cool them off more.

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Some will set forever unless you force them to stop. Kelsie gives good ideas. Welcome to BYC.

4. petrel

petrel Chats with Chickens

Welcome to BYC!

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC!

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I think she is faking the broody bit, just so she can take over your bed. Chickens are not stupid!!

8. Stock Family

Stock Family Just Hatched

Sep 11, 2013
    Monsey Ny
    I think you are right. I moved her into another room and took away her eggs and she decided to go out later in the day. Thanks

9. Chicken Happy

Chicken Happy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2012
    North Idaho
    Greetings!
    I have a 2 yr old, habitual broody banty. I gave-up. Tried all that there is to cure her, but she is determined. Been in the nest box for almost 3 months now. She will go out for feed, but zip back in. She is healthy, a tad batty, but she wins. She is not picked on and rather high in the pecking order, but this is what she wants. She no longer gives eggs, but providing me entertainment. I find myself spending a few minutes each day putting my hand in the nest box just to hear her growl at me. Glad that yours gave up the fight. Welcome to BYC!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by